Kohler Class 5 Flush Issue

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeff_S

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and I am searching for an answer to my problem.

I have a Kohler Class 5 Toilet that is about 5 years old. Last night it stopped flushing. One would flip the lever and it would flush but not fill the tank or bowl. Some water would dribble from under the red cap at the top of the fill valve but that was it. However, if you turned off the water at the shut-off then turned it back on on the bowl and tank would fill normally and flush but the process would have to be repeated to refill the tank and bowl.

I replaced the original fill valve with a Fluidmaster 400a which is the same as my old Kohler fill valve. Now the canister flush valve won't float long enough to let the bowl fill to its original level. The tank fills fine. It worked perfectly prior to the fill valve issue and subsequent change. I even took the time to match the initial adjustments to my old valve, installed the new one then adjusted it from there.

This issue seemed similar but not exactly like some of the Class 5 issues I had read on the forum. If anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears.

Sincerely,

Jeff

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Do you have one of the Flood-Stop hoses on the inlet to the fill valve? If so, throw it away and replace it with a 'normal' one, and your problem will go away.

Jeff_S

Reaction score
Jadnashua,

No, I don't have a Flood-Stop hose. It is a metal pipe from the shut-off to the base of the Fill Valve.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would use the performax Fluidmaster on it.
It allows adjustment of the bowl refill.
The standard 400A has no adjustment for that.

If the bowl isn't filled before flushing, then the water from the tank will replentish the waster in the bowl, but won't be enough to start the siphon.

http://www.fluidmaster.com/our-prod...-performance-toilet-fill-valve-performax.html

And below is some information on the Kohler replacement fill valves.

index.php

Last edited:

Jeff_S

Reaction score
Terry,

Thanks for the reply. I took a look at the Performax Fluidmaster and compared it to the 400a and my original fill valve. It matches my original valve, especially the additional flange between the adjuster bracket and the flange above the threads. I'll be installing this on tonight. Hopefully everything should work out.

Sincerely,

Jeff

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks