Steam Generator plumbing advice

Users who are viewing this thread

baggins424

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am looking for some advice regarding the set up of the gravity drain and TPR from my steam shower generator to my plumbing system. Right now I have plumbed in an ABS trap to a vertical stack to catch discharge. The top of the stack is above the shower flood level. My plan was to drop the copper pipe from the water drain and TPR to the top of this stack. From my research, this seems standard. I also have a vertical vent stack in the shower wall (within 18" of generator) that I can easily attach into. Upon speaking with a general contractor (not plumber) he recommended hard connecting the drain lines to the ABS and adding a mechanical vent or tying it into the existing vent because he felt that there was a possibility of the trap drying out and introducing sewer gasses. (I installed the trap around 3 weeks ago, poured in some water and it is still there).
Are there any plumbers that would recommend one solution or the other. The dead end/air gap is obviously way easier but I don't want to do this twice, i want to set it up pro, and I am interested in trying to meet code requirements. I can also tie each of the drains TPC and water drain to the ABS or air gap separately instead of T'ing the 1/2" water drain to the 3/4" TPC.

My other potential issue is discharge water temp. I would say max potential temp is 160*-180* which is right at the border for ABS and may not be to code but all the information I have found with drains directly next to the steam generator show an air gap to PVC or ABS. The generator purges and gravity drains 10-15 minutes after shut down.

View attachment 20685

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks