ABS or Sched. 40 PVC?

Users who are viewing this thread

John28

Reaction score
I'm getting a new washer, and Im looking to do some replumbing, for a laundry tub and washer, drains, P-traps, standpipe, etc.

What I have existing, is ABS which comes through the basement concrete. My question? Should I just replumb with ABS, or switch to PVC? I realize both reqire different glues, whereas the transition at the ABS, might require a Fernco coupling. If I switch to PVC, I still have to deal with the ABS coming through, as that can't be replaced. The main reason I ask, is PVC fittings and like are much more readily available, than ABS. As with ABS, might have to order fittings online, where with PVC, my local Home Depot has about everything, but very limited ABS.

So, switch over to PVC, or just keep it ABS? I also thought is wasn't per code to use a transition glue between the two, ABS and PVC? And would reqire a coupling of some sort? Thanks

John28

Reaction score
If you switch to PVC, then use a shield coupling between the two materials. I would not glue them.

That's what I thought, but many people say the transition glue is acceptable, but they are not very reliable sources, Thanks

Would you make an effort to continue with ABS, even if locating fittings is more limited, or switch to PVC?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Inspectors have failed me when I tried the transition glue. I always use the coupling now. I have no problem with switching to PVC if you are using the proper coupling to go between the two materials.
I've plumbed intire buildings using those couplings. They are standard for cast iron no-hub fittings.
You would need one spec'ed for plastic to plastic with a metal wrap to prevent the pipe from shifting.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
abs

I have used transition glue many times, and since our gas company used it to join their old ABS gas lines to the new PVC ones, and HIGH pressure, I would think it was safe for a drain line which has no pressure on it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks