Replacing back flow; suspended toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

Mr Bill

Reaction score
I have a toilet dilemma. We have an old Kohler back outlet; suspended toilet. It is black and needless to say dated. The tank is a Wellington K-4504 but I can't find a ref # for the bowl. I want to replace with a white toilet but I can't find anything that matches the wall mounts (there are 4 bolts; about 7-8" width and 9" top to bottom) Kohler has a Barrington back flow toilet but it has three bolts and the plumbing doesn't line up. I want to avoid tearing out dry wall to redo things. I have searched the web to find this toilet but cannot find the tank at least. It was manufactured in 1990. Any suggestions? :confused::eek:

k-3441-spec.jpg

wellington-parts.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Well, there's an American Standard Glenwall, which has a bolt pattern that is 9" wide and 7.5" top to bottom. Are you sure that's not the pattern on your toilet carrier?

Street price 500-600, depending on source.

The current Kohler Barrington models seem to be all floor-mount rear-discharge toilets. They don't hang on the wall.

The Crane Rexmont was the same kind of thing as the Glenwall, but I think it's discontinued.

The Kohler Odeon looks nice, but I don't think it's available in the US.

In short, I think the Glenwall is currently the only game in town for what you seek.

And most other wall-mount toilets these days for home use are models that put the tank and carrier in the wall, with only the bowl on the outside of the wall. Some are very attractive, like the Toto Maris wall-hung and Toto Aquia wall-hung (both of which also come in a standard, vertical-discharge, floor-mount version with a tank, so don't get confused; I'm talking about the wall-hung version of those models). Duravit makes a plethora of these kind of toilets as well, and Kohler, a little late to the party, also makes some of these, although models seem to come and go with them. But you don't want to open the wall, so these are probably out.

Last edited:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
PS I think what you probably have is a Kohler Wellesley Toilet.

Long discontinued (1994). Here's the spec sheet, though:

http://www.ca.kohler.com/onlinecatalog/pdf/106668_4.pdf

Looking at the Wellesley spec sheet, it appears that the bolt pattern is identical to that of the Glenwall, so it should be an easy swap. The Kohler was a gravity toilet (one without pressure assist). The Glenwall uses a Sloan Flushmate pressure assist unit. It will be a little noisier, but it is very effective in cleaning the bowl.

Here is the thread containing reviews and information on the AS Glenwall.

https://terrylove.com/forums/showth...enwall-wall-mount-toilet-and-Yorkville-review

The Glenwall is available through most plumbers and plumbing supply places, as well as places like Home Depot: http://www.homedepot.com/p/American...-in-White-2093-100-020/202499481#.UcEhGfn5m6g

Last edited:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Sorry, Terry. I forgot about the Maxwell. I thought there was another but convinced myself that it must have been the discontinued Rexmont.

Mr Bill, here's the spec sheet on the Gerber: http://www.gerberonline.com/downloads/specs/Toilet/20-021-SS.pdf

It's cheaper than the Glenwall, and has the same bolt pattern as your current toilet, but it's a gravity toilet, and I'm thinking that the Glenwall is going to have the better flush. It does have a 3" flush valve (good), but the trapway is as narrow as 1-3/4" (as compared to the Totos we like on this forum, which are 2-1/8", and the Glenwall, which is 2").

Last edited:

Mr Bill

Reaction score
Thanks guys! Very helpful. The toilet is in the master bathroom upstairs and the only reason I can see as to why the original owners had a rear outlet toilet was out of necessity as the shower floor is elevated and the whirlpool tub is on a platform, so maybe plumbing wasn't possible between floor and ceiling??? House was built in mid 70's and we will need to update bathroom but not sure I can change the plumbing situation...

PS- I got a quote from a local plumbing supply house for the Glenwall today for $440 and change!

Last edited:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
If that's the bowl AND tank, you got a good deal; that's about $100 less than the Home Depot price and the online prices.

Just goes to show that it's worth starting out with one's local merchants. Maybe he had this one sitting around for a while and is looking to turn it into cash.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks