Bathtub redirect and concrete laundry sink!

Users who are viewing this thread

Lordoftheflies

Reaction score
Plumber redirected the 1st floor bathtub to the vent line today.

Initially the problem was the bathtub kept backing up and everytime I plunged it I got food particles in the bathtub.

I thought (as did the plumber) the reason was because of an incorrectly pitched 2" line coming out of the main sewer pipe (not sure what to call it but the toilet drains to it).

I had just cleaned out that pipe as best I could but the tub didn't flow that much better.

So.........after he did that (will post pics of that as well) and installed a mini vent for it, the dang concrete laundry basin started to leak. They had tried with might to unscrew a nut to no avail with pipe wrenches and I saw the pipes jiggling a bit and I'm pretty sure that's what caused it to loosen up.

It was the end of the day and the plumber took off after replacing the metal trap with a pvc one. Left a bucket under it.

So I decided to take a peek....and found that the whole mechanism for the drain for the laundry sink was indeed loose. (sink never leaked before but never had water backing up into it either)

It's held in by 2 flat head screws and square nuts and it looks like the plumber's putty had tried up and cracked.

As you can see by the stamp the basin was made in 1946! (same year the house was built)

Took it all apart, cleaned off the chunks of dried putty, and used some thumb gum I had left over. I didn't have any plumber's putty handy.

Is it ok to use the thumb gum? Or should I just get some plumber's putty and redo it? Seemed to make a good seal so I'm happy for now if you all think it's ok.

Given its age the drain for the sink is doing ok - just a bit of rust. Perhaps I should paint it?

Now, with regards to the redirect of the drain for the bathtub, this certainly didn't work out as well as I had hoped.

Turns out now the damn laundry sink backs up with the water if you drain a full bathtub (that's how I saw the laundry drain leak).

Does the laundry drain need its own vent like the bathtub?

I do believe this indicates I must have some serious blockage between this connection at the sink and the house trap where the water main is....because the tub is draining at the same rate post redirection. So it wasn't the incorrectly pitched pipe....and now that I think about it some more that pipe was only about 3 feet long and a full bathtub of water would over come that slight incorrect pitch.

At least I don't have to open up the line connected to the toilet to snake the bathtub any more.

Hm. Now that I think about it some more....I'm going to fill the 2nd floor bathtub (we don't use it for baths often, only the 1st floor for the kids) and see how it drains. Showers in both are no problem.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

1. Original trap pipe was already rusted through!
2013-06-18 15.45.13.jpg

2. Final pvc setup for bathtub
2013-06-18 21.24.49.jpg

3. Laundry sink connected to vent and bathtub
2013-06-18 21.24.39.jpg

4. Date of manufacture of the laundry basin
2013-06-18 19.59.50.jpg

5. Final setup below the laundry sink
2013-06-18 21.10.44.jpg

Thanks.

Last edited:

Lordoftheflies

Reaction score
Here are some more pics.

1. Thumb gum
2013-06-18 20.50.07.jpg

2. Orig plumber's putty all dried up
2013-06-18 20.31.19.jpg

3. Side view of the trumpet attaching to the sink
2013-06-18 20.22.06.jpg

4. Original setup
2013-06-18 20.00.10.jpg

5. Mini vent used for the bathtub.
2013-06-18 14.54.15.jpg

Lordoftheflies

Reaction score
Ok just showered, filled the bathtub........watched it drain (I guess it's about the same rate as the 1st floor), ran downstairs to see if the laundry sink backed up and it didn't.

And I can hear it come down the main sewer stack.....

Asktom

Reaction score
If the goo on the laundry tray washer leaks get a funnel washer, that is what it should have.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
After looking at the pictures I am truly at a loss for words. A "plumber" did that? Does he have a plumbing license?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

You show us the "mini vent" but where is it installed? From your pictures it looks like the tub overflow is connected to the drain line WITHOUT a trap. Funnel laundry drains always used putty for the seal.

Lordoftheflies

Reaction score
On the road....

The mini vent is connected to the "t" in pic 2. Of the first post right where trap is.

The house is old 1947.

There is no tub overflow. The tub does not have one and there used to be a stand alone one (from below you can see it is disconnected) and post renovation of the bathroom they just eliminated it ( before my time).

I will keep a dry bucket under the sink but I will get a funnel washer anyways and some proper plumbers putty(people still use it right?)

I will have to snake from the main stack to the water main. Something is definitely blocking.

Judging my the amount of crap in the old laundry sink trap....I can just imagine.

Do I need a mini vent for the laundry sink?

Thanks for the helpful comments.

Last edited:

Asktom

Reaction score
The mini vent looks like it is on the tub, but the laundry tray seems to be wet vented between floors. A mini vent on the tray won't protect the trap from positive pressure.

HJ knows what he is doing so putty must work, but where I come from a funnel washer is used (Kirkhill # G-81, Lasco # 02-3078 (bulk) or 02-3079 (carded), or equal)

Lordoftheflies

Reaction score
Thanks Asktom.... I will procure a washer if this setup starts to leak. So far so good.

As for the bathtub the plumber came back and redid it so that I have a trap I can take apart now if I have to.....

and also added a cleanout in the PVC near the floor.

He also snaked the 2" vent line while everything was apart and it must have been clogged up pretty bad because now a full bathtub flies down the PVC and doesn't back up into the laundry sink.

2013-06-22 23.00.49.jpg

2013-06-22 23.00.55.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks