multi supply line valve shut off doesn't!

Users who are viewing this thread

treasure37

Reaction score
Hi,

I am attempting to replace my countertop and kitchen sink tonight. Under my sink the single hot water valve has 2 outlets on it, 1 to the faucet and 1 to the dishwasher. When I tried to turn off the water it began to leak. I tightened all the connections and tried to turn it off again but the water stays on full to the faucet no matter which way the valve handle is turned.
Could this be a defective valve? A buildup? Installed incorrectly? The valve is one of the standard chrome ones and I believe it's about 10 years old and we have never had to turn ir off before.

I know I can cut the main water. Remove the valve and replace it with two valves sweated in series to give each applaince its own. But I had hoped to get this project rolling tonight.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Sam

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Welcome to plumbing.

That's why we try to have everything on the truck, "In case it doesn't work".

Most shutoffs under the sink will stop if they are threaded in clockwise.

That doesn't mean they all still work after a number of years.
Any hardware store should have replacements.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
leak

Might be leaking at the packing on the stem.
Shut the main valve off and take off the pressure. Put a pan under that shut off and partially open it. Unscrew the hex cap under the handle and grease the stem at the packing gland. Check to see if the washer on the end of the stem is good and then put it back together. Screw the stem back in and then tighten the hex packing gland. That should take care of the drip under the handle.....

Finnegan

Reaction score
These valves fail very often. The fact that it supplies both fixtures is not the problem. Is it sweated on? If you are lucky, it is a compression fitting which can easily be replaced. One way or another, replace the valve now while you have easy access to it.

Dubldare

Plumber/Gasfitter
Reaction score
Dual-outlet stops are not legal where I'm from.

We require independent shut-off of each fixture/appliance.

Attachments

• stops.JPG
    stops.JPG
    17.3 KB · Views: 498
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks