Air Injection fleck vaule

Users who are viewing this thread

tlman48

Reaction score
Hi all, I am thinking about buying a new iron filter system and was wondering about the efficiency of the air injection head on the fleck 2510 AI valve. My water only has 1.0 ppm clear iron and .05 ppm manganese. The ph is 7.2 It seems like the contact time of the air with the water would be very short. Has anyone had experience with these valves? Also would they require backwashing every night to keep the air supply in the tank? Thanks , Tim

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I'm curious what brand you are looking at. I made inquiries with www.excaliburwater.com about their equipment since I could find very little details on their site. It sounds like they may be using the same methodology and I have some of the same concerns that you have. They do however offer a two tank system as an option that should increase contact time.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but it is the oxygen supply that is crucial. The bulk of air is 78% nitrogen and has only about 21% oxygen. You could setup a greenhouse to raise the oxygen level. LOL

tlman48

Reaction score
Hi LLigetfa, I was looking at several internet sites that are pushing this air injection. It would be nice to get rid of my in line air injector, but I am wonder if anyone has used these and how well they work. That site you were looking at does not show any prices and does not give a lot of detail.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Air injection valves are great when you only need a little kick to get the Manganese Dioxide medias to work. Small amounts of iron, adequate pH, a little oxygen goes a long way. I have had great luck with these units in many applications, and just a couple of applications where it di not work and chlorine injection was needed.

Local water treatment companies will usually know what works in your area.

tlman48

Reaction score
Thanks, That is encouraging. Yes a local company that I bought from 17 years ago is using the air valve with a mix of Birm and calcite etc. Do you know if it is needed to backwash every night with these systems to keep the air supply up to where it needs to be?

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
If they can supply one to you at a reasonable price, and they know the right mix of medias and settings to minimize service and problems while providing you with good water quality, I would give hem a shot. Remember, you can always negotiate the price. Dont expect online pricing from a local dealer. but if you buy one online and it has problems, the local guys will usually charge you considerably more to service a system they did not sell for a multitude of reasons if they will service it at all. Backwash and air recharging is usually based on the application. Lots of people in the house, will cause more frequent backwashes. Poor water quality will do the same. The local company probably has figured out the right balance of water quality, system efficiency, etc for your local water supply.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks