Backflow device for bidet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Ontario Plumber

Plumber
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Im new to this site, and rather new to Canada. I was a plumber in England and moved to Canada last year. I have since passed my CofQ and have my Canadian Plumbing license, but there are still a lot of things I have to learn. I am only 22 aswell. I have a job I intend to complete next week. One of my customers had their home inspected, and the inspector noticed that there was no backflow device on the bidet faucet. I know newer faucets come with a vacuum breaker installed within the faucet (usually in the diverter).

This is the vacuum breaker I intend to use. One on both hot and cold supply lines to the bidet. Could someone with a little more experience than myself advise me on the suitability of this vacuum breaker. I know it is suitable to protect against back siphonage, but I was under the impression from college that this vacuum breaker is intended to be installed at least 300mm above the flood level rim of the fixture it serves?

Thanks

Sean

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I've seen two typs of faucets for the stand alone bidets. Does this one outlet below the rim then?
The second style has a faucet that is on the top, much like a lav faucet, which would be considered as air-gapped.

I've often wondered about the bidet faucet that was located in the lower portion, below the flood level.

kohler-bidet.jpg

Last edited:

Ontario Plumber

Plumber
Reaction score
http://www.kohler.ca/onlinecatalog/...-4&section=2&category=8&resultPage=0-28056520

This is a similar faucet to the one installed on the bidet i'm dealing with. It has 2 handles to control the hot and cold water, and a transfer valve (which would usually contain the vacuum breaker in newer faucets) which diverts the water from the vertical spray at the front of the bidet to the filler which is located directly underneath the overflow.

I advised my customer that it would be best to install a brand new faucet which would obviously contain a vacuum breaker within the transfer valve, but I quoted her over $1000 because bidet faucets are very expensive and i'd also have the lift the bidet from the floor to install it. The lady was unimpressed with the price, so I suggested a cheaper option would be to install the dual check valves on the hot and cold supply to the bidet. I was intending on installing them directly after the water shut off valves for the bidet.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
vacuum breaker

The key phrase is that it is for "non health hazard installations", but by definition, a bidet could be one. Removing a bidet to install a new valve is a simple task. But how about a picture of the existing valve so we know what you are working with?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That Kohler faucet has a vacuum breaker on it.

kohler_bidet_breaker.jpg

kohler_bidet_breaker_2.jpg

http://www.kohler.ca/onlinecatalog/pdf/1157488_2.pdf

So it looks like the Kohler faucet with vacuum breaker would make the inspector happy.
A bidet normally sets to the floor with two bolts, hooks up to a 1-1/4" p-trap (may be wall or fllor), and has a hot and cold lav supplies from the wall or floor.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
vb

ANY bidet faucet with a VB would make the inspector happy, the poster just doesn't want to pay for one, plus the installation. A photo of what he has would tell us whether he does indeed have a vacuum breaker already, or if he even needs one. It is possible that the "inspector" is not competent to make the decision.

Ontario Plumber

Plumber
Reaction score
I understand that a new faucet with a built in vacuum breaker would be sufficient. My point is that the homeowner doesn't want to pay the price for the new faucet and for the installation.

The current faucet has no vacuum breaker installed within the faucet. Im not able to show an image, sorry.

I just wanted to know if it would be acceptable to install 2 vacuum breakers (these - http://www.wattscanada.ca/pages/_products_details.asp?pid=888) on the hot and cold supplies which come up through the floor behind the bidet.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
cross connection

A connection between a well water system and a city water system would be a possible "non health" cross connection. Add in the usual requirement that the BFP be ABOVE the rim of the fixture, (often 6" above), and the ones proposed become a "clunky" installation.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks