Quick Q about old lead and brass ferrules?

Users who are viewing this thread

Zimmee66

Reaction score
Hi All!

Im about to tackle the replacement of a leaking LEAD toilet soil pipe/riser.

I read an excellent tutorial post on this list (tho its not about a toilet drain) and have asked a few questions here myself. So,

I understand pretty well what needs to be done but Id sure like to minimize surprises. I live in a very rural area and its an hour and a half to the hardware store (and to a plumber!) Basically, I'd like to buy anything I could possibly need, and then return what I dont use to cover all my bases!

There are a lot of ferncos! Can anyone tell me what would be a normal size for the brass ferrule? 4 inch?

I'm guessing I need a 4 inch to three inch reducer--but Im not sure. If it helps the Cast Iron bell is XH grade.

On that note, are three inch PVC soil pipes the norm now? I see both three and four inch soil pipe/riser flanges...any advantage one over the other?

regards
jim

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you keep it 4" you can use a flange that either fits inside or outside the pipe. Inside works especially well if you are tiling, since you can run the tile and backerboard up directly against the pipe without having to leave room for the flange to fit on the outside of it. This also helps to solidify it from moving horizontally if done well. If the existing pipe is 4", you can keep it the same or reduce it to 3". The biggest trapway is about 2.5", so anything bigger is allowed (typically 3-4"), as I understand it.

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Lead pipe

I'm new on this forum; I may have missed something, what are we trying to do? How are you using the term brass ferrule.? More information could help.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
When you connect a lead pipe to a cast iron hub, you need something on the inside of the lead to help support it while you make the mechanical connection - the ferrule.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
ferrule

If you are using the term "Fernco" in its usual application, then that coupling should not be used for that purpose. You need a "no-hub" type transition coupling with each end sized for the material you are connecting to. You can use a 3x4 closet bend, but since you have 4" and the riser is best if it is 4" why reduce and then increase the size.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks