Best toilet for a landlord wanting to avoid problems with toilet overflows?

Users who are viewing this thread

RebelRider

Reaction score
Hello. I am brand new to this forum. I just joined because I'm planning to rent out the house I lovingly put so much money into over the past few years. I'm a retiring female senior citizen with no knowledge of plumbing matters. While I would much rather have sold my house, I simply can't afford to do so because of the severe drop in its value since I bought it. My first thought had been to get a Penguin toilet that guards against overflows, but after reading the posts on here about that, I'm very glad that I didn't. I then found an article that discusses all of the various aspects of toilets but, unfortunately, found that all a bit overwhelming. The bathroom in my house is on the second floor, directly over my dining room where I had a beautiful new hardwood floor installed. My house is one of a city block full of twin homes located in a lower-income urban area. I've never been a landlord before and am not really relishing the prospect of becoming one, but it's my best option at this point. I want to take as many precautionary measures as possible to prevent careless tenants from damaging my beloved house. While I know there's no way to guarantee that, at least having a toilet that is very hard to "stop up," should help. From the reading I've done so far, there are so many brands, and so many variables, that I don't know how to choose. I've also heard about toilets that will flush 12 golf balls. I would really appreciate it if some knowledgeable folks with experience with toilets that don't overflow, could make me some specific recommendations. As much as I can possibly reduce the risk of water damage inside my home, I want to take any possible precautionary measures. The toilet that the house came with stops up very easily, but I am careful to clear the clog so that I don't have an overflow. Can't say I feel confidant that tenants would do the same. Appreciate any help I can get. Thank you!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would highly recommend the Toto Drake. This is a real workhorse in the Toto family of fine toilets. Street prices are comparable with AS and other brands, but it is not available in discount houses. The cheap builder grade toilets sold in the discount houses will be a nightmare waiting to happen for you. No toilet is 100% clog proof, but the Drake comes about as close to it as possible. Most of us Toto owners don't even have a plunger anymore. Granted renters may try to flush a diaper or other articles that never should be in a toilet and manage to clog even the Drake, so I won't go so far as to say "clog proof". I don't poop golf balls, so I can attest to that.

RebelRider

Reaction score
Best toilet for a landlord wanting to avoid problems with toilet over flows?

I would highly recommend the Toto Drake. This is a real workhorse in the Toto family of fine toilets. Street prices are comparable with AS and other brands, but it is not available in discount houses. The cheap builder grade toilets sold in the discount houses will be a nightmare waiting to happen for you. No toilet is 100% clog proof, but the Drake comes about as close to it as possible. Most of us Toto owners don't even have a plunger anymore. Granted renters may try to flush a diaper or other articles that never should be in a toilet and manage to clog even the Drake, so I won't go so far as to say "clog proof". I don't poop golf balls, so I can attest to that.

Thanks, Gary! I will google "Toto Drake." I'd previously googled "toto toilets" and discovered LOTS of different Toto toilets, so now I'll focus on the Drake model. I also don't poop golf balls, but I'm thinking that if a toilet will flush 12 golf balls, it might flush a diaper, or, as you say, whatever else a careless renter might try to flush down the toilet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks