(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Toto Drake toilet product review

Comments by readers Reader Review's Avatar
    Emails and phone calls sent in by readers

Hi Terry.

This is Michael S. over in Kirkland. You installed some toilets for us way back in 2006 and they're still working spectacularly well.

I'm wondering what your opinions are on tankless water heaters for situations like ours, and if this is something where you could help us choose a quality model and possibly install it - like you did years ago with those Toto toilets? (Man those have been great!)

Thanks much.
    -Mike

I just ordered the Drake two piece but in order to get an inuslated tank I had to order two separate pieces and I was restricted to G-max and unable to get the dual-cyclone flushing. I am wondering if any problems are going to arise with installation since I ordered the toilet this way. I also was restricted to sana-gloss and 1.6g flush and was told Toto only has two tanks that are insulated....are there aftermarket insulating kits that are worth the money???

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The Drake has always been a good bowl, and the insulated 1.6 tank has been fine too.
    I notice that you are getting Sanagloss for the bowl, so it all sounds very good.

We order in the toilets separately too. We have four bowls and two tanks, more if you count the insulated tanks, and right tank levers.
    You did good.

Last edited by Terry; 10-29-2012 at 12:47 PM.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

West Seattle Baptist Church, new toilets in all of the bathrooms. This was a previous customer that has had them in her home.

Here is the Drake ADA with Right Hand tank lever.

Default Toto cst744sl

Greetings. I just wanted to say a big thank you for all the great info you have on your site re kinds of toilets and their performance. We just installed two new Toto Drakes and are wowed by their performace.Model# CTS744SL.

Thanks again, Glenn B
    Edmonton,Alberta Canada.

Default Best Yet.

I installed a Drake 9 years ago in my 2nd floor master. Have not had one...not ONE time had to use a plunger on that unit. It gets worked over pretty well. I was so impressed with this unit that I installed 2 additional Toto's in my house and over the course of 9, 8 and 7 years, have had to use plunger ONE time in a basement unit that the kids tore up with lots of paper. This is coming from someone who would routinely require plunger work (daily). Couldn't be happier with the investment.

Quote Originally Posted by Reader Review View Post
    Greetings. I just wanted to say a big thank you for all the great info you have on your site re kinds of toilets and their performance. We just installed two new Toto Drakes and are wowed by their performace.Model# CTS744SL.

Thanks again, Glenn B
    Edmonton,Alberta Canada.

Great shot.. We're plumbers for God's sake. People often don't understand how important we are to their everyday life. What would they do if they had to wake up to this every morning?
    Agoura Hills Plumber
    Full Service Plumber and Plumbing Repair Services in Agoura Hills

Default CST744E TOTO Drake

Dear Terry,

I left a message on your machine to order another low-flow toilet. I'd love to have another one we purchased from you Sept 3, 2010.

This info:
    #CST744E-01 Toto Eco Drake 1/28 GPM E-Max flush. HET WaterSense consisting of ST743E tank and C744E bowl, elongated, Cotton White.

#SS114-01 TOTO Soft Close seat, elongated, Cotton White

Install Kit, too, please.
    Joy T
    Kirkland WA
    Last edited by Reader Review; 04-04-2013 at 09:39 AM.

Default TOTO CST744E Drake

Terry,

Thanks again! James is a very personable and professional fixture setting plumber. Judy is thrilled with her "Lexus" toilet and it's wonderful for her to not have to worry about something so basic.

I'll definitely be calling on you in the future!

Sincerely,

John K
    Clyde Hill, WA

PS: I verified with Jamie yesterday that Shannon is your brother - don't know if he remembers me, but we were in the same graduating class at BHS.

Just bought the Toto Drake CST744SL (1.6Gpf) advertised as having commercial grade flushing performance. I get confused between "commercial grade" and "pressure assisted" toilets and thought maybe the CST744SL was pressure assisted. After seeing the mechanism, looks like it is gravity fed rather than pressure assisted valve, G-Max, etc. Is that correct?
    Question is, do I need to look for a pressure assist model for the higher reliability, and does Toto make one? Or is this G-Max model with 3" flush valve going to take care of just about any load?

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek Mikey's Avatar

I had a PA unit, replaced it with a 1.6 gal Drake about 4 years ago, and have never regretted it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehuali View Post
    Just bought the Toto Drake CST744SL (1.6Gpf) advertised as having commercial grade flushing performance. I get confused between "commercial grade" and "pressure assisted" toilets and thought maybe the CST744SL was pressure assisted. After seeing the mechanism, looks like it is gravity fed rather than pressure assisted valve, G-Max, etc. Is that correct?
    Question is, do I need to look for a pressure assist model for the higher reliability, and does Toto make one? Or is this G-Max model with 3" flush valve going to take care of just about any load?
    That GMax is going to take care of any reasonable load. It has a MAP rating of >1000grams, meaning it pins the needle on the scale of flushability. We have two of them, and love them. Commercial grade means that Terry actually installs these in public restrooms in places like bars, restaurants, churches, etc.. If you look above, you'll see where he put some in a church. You're going to love it, and a lot quieter than a pressure assist (and it won't explode, either).

Your prompt advice is greatly appreciated.

With the glowing recommendations of the Eco Drake I bought one in 2007 (Elongated & ADA) - good for my big 6'4" frame. I noted that with the tank cover on, it comes in at more than 30" tall, which makes it unsuitable for bathroom fitments in which a counter banjo / extension is used. I can't find the tank and base model number because Toto uses a water-solueable ink when they stamp on the inside of the tank, which due to condensation inside has all but erased it.

Does Toto make a similarly sized tank that's slightly wider but slightly shorter to fit under a 30" tall countertop? I'd like to buy 2 more for our new (to us) house.

Thank you in advance!

No problem regarding the model numbers. The original Drake elongated 1.28gpf toilet is CST744E. At ADA height, its CST744EL.

There is an optional traditional-looking new tank for the original Drake (ST744E is the new tank number, ST743E is the original tank number) that makes the toilet a CST744EN or ELN, depending on whether it is ADA or not. (The "N" is for "new tank", the "L" is for ADA height.)

With the new tank on the C744EL bowl (the ADA bowl), the thing is 31-1/8" high, actually a little taller than the 30.5" that your CST744EL is. So that doesn't help.

That ADA bowl increases the height of the overall toilet by 2 inches. The CST744E (without the ADA bowl) is only 28.5" high. My concern is whether you're going to have enough room to service the thing if it needs it, i.e. replace a fill valve or a flapper. It would suck to have to pull the bowl off the floor and slide the whole thing out to get in there to change a flapper. And you may want to keep the ADA height.

So...some other options: The Drake II (CST454CEFG) is 30" high with a Univeral Height bowl (just a nudge under the ADA height). That might fit, but you would still have the issue of servicing it.
    The Ultramax II one-piece is an outstanding toilet that is only 28-3/4" at the top of the tank. Universal height. Sanagloss. Double-cyclone flush. MS604114CEFG.

There is also a "lowboy" version of the Ultramax II called the Supreme II. Its lower tank might degrade the flush a smidge, but it will fit well and be easily serviceable at 25-9/16" high. MS634114CEFG and it's still Universal Height at the bowl.

One of Toto's best toilets, the Soiree one-piece, is 27-3/4", so you would have a little more room to get in there if you need it, but not as much as on the Supreme. MS964214CEFG. also Universal height.

When you go shopping, the MS (one-piece) ones come with a seat, while the CST (bowl and tank, 2 piece) ones don't. Remember that prices vary wildly at plumbing supply places, with 20-40% off list not unheard of when you are ready to buy. Terry's prices in the red box above are a good guide to a fair price.
    Last edited by wjcandee; 02-04-2014 at 04:58 PM.