(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Toto Drake toilet product review

Just wanted to stop by and say I installed a Toto Drake II with Sanagloss last night in my upstairs bathroom. It installed easily and works great. I really like the double cyclone flush. As someone mentioned in a previous post, the tank I received had a small section on the back right cut out (C shaped).

I have a Toto Aquia III in my downstairs half bath. So far I've been very pleased with Toto products! Thanks for the good advice.

I installed a Drake (CST744S) about a month ago in my upstairs bathroom. It is truely amazing!
    Now I am thinking about replacing the one in the downstairs half bath. But going through different modles, I may either get another Drake. This is nothing I don't like about the one I indstalled. So why bother for a different model?. Or I am also considering the Drake II. I really don't care about the height. I am perfectly happy with the height of Drake I have. As a matter of fact, I wonder if the ADA model would be a little too high for me. I am not worried much about the 1.28 vs 1.6 either. I can't believe how little water the Drake uses compared with the old one I am replacing, and I can't image how much more water the 1.28 can save. Now, the question is if Sanagloss and the Double Cyclone worth the upgrade. I am sure there are people here went through the same and I'd be happy to hear your opinions. TIA!

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

I have Sanagloss on both my toilets. It does lengthen the time between cleanings, and cleans up faster than my old toilets that didn't have it. So, I think it is worth it. The double-cyclone appeals to me as an engineer, as it does do a better bowl wash (not that that is needed, depends on diet and health).
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Thanks Jim. Will consider that for the next purchase.

Comments by readers Reader Review's Avatar
    Emails and phone calls sent in by readers

Default CST744E-12 Drake

Terry,

The Drake looks (and works) great, and Jamie did a great, efficient job.

Thanks very much for your recommendation!

Brian S.
    Seattle

I recently had 3 new Toto Drakes (CST744 I believe... the elongated ones) installed in my house based largely on the great reviews here. So far, I am bitterly disappointed. Perhaps by posting here someone can point out something I am doing wrong.

All three have clogged within the first month of installation. To avoid this is exactly why I replaced the old toilets (as well as to avoid overflows and ruining the downstairs ceiling again). Not only do they clog, but they seem super hard to unclog vs. the old toilets. Really, plunging a toilet over and over and over and having little pieces of crap splashing on me/the floor is not my idea of a good time.

Two questions: 1) Is there anything with installation that may need to (or can) be tweaked? Our handyman installed. 2) I'm unclear on whether or not there are multiple flush modes, e.g. pull quickly for liquids and hold for solids. I know the first two clogs (by me) I only pulled quickly the first time. Maybe this contributed to the problem, although subsequent longer pulls wouldn't clear the clog either. Anyway, I didn't see anything on the Toto website that suggested that there were multiple flush modes to begin with.

Any thought appreciated. Thanks!

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

To flush any non-dual flush toilet, push the handle down all the way and release. Yes, on some you can get it to short-cycle, but it isn't guaranteed to work. You can call it a feature if you want, but is not designed or intended to be used that way.

Totos generally come from the factory with the water level preset properly, but you might check that. If the water level in the tank isn't proper, it doesn't have the head (or pressure) of the falling water to flush as designed. Then, make sure that the hose from the fill valve is pointing into the overflow tube. That is what refills the bowl. Both the bowl and the tank must be filled to their proper levels to work.

If the wax seal was not centered properly, part of it could be blocking the outlet of the toilet. If a wax seal with a plastic horn was used, on some flanges, it can get squeezed partially shut, clogging things (regular wax is the least expensive and best). Finally, if the drain lines are partially clogged, no toilet will work properly.

Last, if you are in the 1% or so that produces exceptionally large and/or hard stools for some medical condition, you may need a different toilet. The ones often suggested for that are those made by Caroma. If you use a lot of toilet paper, and it is something like Charmin, many toilets will have problems. Maybe a bidet seat would be a nice addition!

My mother has two Drakes in her home, and does not have problems.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek Mikey's Avatar

I'm thinking it's a plumbing problem, not a toilet problem. The poster said the 3 old toilets also clogged; did a real plumber check out the waste plumbing? Unlikey 6 toilets would all have a clogging problem.

I'm pretty sure neither myself nor my wife are in that 1% with the referenced medical condition : ) She may use too much paper (histoically she's generated most of the clogs), but I clogged two of the new Totos myself so I couldn't blame her there.

I figured the old ones clogged a lot because our house was built in 1992 and that's just about when the new lower gallons per flush standard came out, and toilet manufacturers didn't really know what they were doing yet.

I haven't had a plumber check out the waste plumbing... wouldn't know where to start. Is that a particular part of the overall plumbing system? Does that mean anything more than the pipes coming to/from each toilet? Thanks.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Does anyone use Chamin?

Pretty much guaranteed to plug any bowl.

Toilet Paper Poll

A thing to consider, most new toilets have been rated for performance.
    Variables are what goes in them.
    Paper is a huge variable.
    Last edited by Terry; 04-13-2011 at 09:49 AM.

Consider that most of us that us Toto toilets are pretty smug with the fact that we virtually never have a clogged toilet, and the few times that we do, it is not the fault of the toilet. Now you have replace 3 toilets that frequently clogged with Totos and they are clogging, and you want to blame the toilets? First make sure the paper you use isn't cloth based like Charmin. If that isn't the problem, forget the handyman, at least for plumbing work, and get a real plumber to find the problem. Hint...It ain't the toilets.
    Last edited by Gary Swart; 04-13-2011 at 11:01 AM. Reason: added comment

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek Mikey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chriscic View Post
    [Waste plumbing] Is that a particular part of the overall plumbing system? Does that mean anything more than the pipes coming to/from each toilet? Thanks.
    Waste plumbing is part of the "DWV" (Drain, Waste, Vent) system -- the pipes responsible for carrying all the sewage and greywater out of the house. If the toilets were installed incorrectly, it's easy to believe they would be prone to clogging. Unlikely all the toilets would be incorrectly installed, and not caught in the plumbing inspection, but I'd bet on that before I'd bet on 6 toilets -- especially the Drakes -- clogging, unless there's an operator error involved.

One more vote for it not being the toilets. I replaced 3 toilets in my house with 2 different Toto models, and can say these things really do not clog - virtually never.

Comments by readers Reader Review's Avatar
    Emails and phone calls sent in by readers

Default We have new toilets!!

WE HAVE NEW TOILETS!!

I know you are feeling the envy kick in right about now, but don’t be a ‘hater’. Turns out the Buchan family builders did not install the highest quality commodes in Trossachs way back when. Never fear...I did plenty of toilet-research (which, by the way was a really crappy job.....hahaha, toilet humor). If you find that you are using your plunger more than you what is humanly possible, you either need a colonoscopy, or some new TOTO Drake toilets – maybe ADA height with the elongated, ‘soft close’ seat?

Anyways, if that time ever comes, please feel free to give a call, and I can share what I have learned on this journey. Plus, if you are super sweet to me...i might even invite you over for a ‘visit’ —provided you don’t hold down the handle too long...as you wont need to with these fancy new flushers.

If you are ever in need of an fantastic plumber, please call Terry and his son James – they have amazing customer service, well priced, and such a decent company – highly rated by the BBB, too!

Terry Love Plumbing
    12108 NE 163rd St
    Bothell WA 98011
    425-806-5683 bothell
    877-808-5683 toll free
    www.terryloveplumbing.com

Thanks for sharing in our exciting news. Got to ‘run’.....(hahahaha- more toilet humor!)

Pamela

Hi, I'm new here... got a question about what to expect from the Toto Drake installation we have scheduled 2 days from now... made the decision from reading the reviews on this thread.

We are replacing a Gerber from 1994 that is repeatedly stopping up for our 17 year old son. Plumber has been handling the clogs, but suggested we replace the toilet if it continues, which it has.

The son is not using too much paper, the sewer line is not clogged. He is not a tall or large person... is a healthy active boy with good digestion and a healthy weight. He has tried various things to "break up" the solid waste before flushing, flushes repeatedly (after full tank refills) during the process, all to no avail. He says that the diameter of the waste is large (maybe as large as his ankle?), and he can't see how ANY toilet will handle that. When I look at the videos of the MaP tests, the solid test material is not large in diameter. So I wonder if he is right, that no toilet will easily handle this issue.

Any thoughts from those of you who have used the Toto Drake about whether or not we will solve our problem?
    If not, what else should we consider?