T0T0 Drake toilet product review

Users who are viewing this thread

HomeRepairGuy

Reaction score
I haven't seen an S bowl in years. We now carry E bowls and match them with either an S tank or an E tank. Maybe I should stop in there next week, just to take a look.
So my S tank on my E bowl is a normal configuration now. Thanks so much for alleviating my worries. Looking forward to any findings if you do stop at your Toto distributor to take a look.

Thanks so much for sharing you wealth of knowledge with all of us,
HRG

James123

Reaction score
Just got my second Drake toilet today for installation. I liked the first one so much I decided to get another. However this time when I unpackaged the tank it had a differenct looking take design than the first.

The flush fill valve was different (both are stamped GMAX but this one looks different), there was a half circle cutout on the back of the tank at the top (I have no reason why), and the iid does not sit flush on the top of the tank, it overhangs in the front a little.

I am just wondering if there are multiple versions of the Drake tank, because for it to have this many differences is strange to me.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The half circle helps air to enter the tank during a flush.
And I've noticed that some of the new tanks have perhaps three different fill valves options.

James123

Reaction score
Thanks

I thought it may be a vent of some kind. I just wanted to make sure it was not a defect of some sort.

Bstanwick

Reaction score
Splotchy glazing on back of tank / Flapper replacement parts

I just received the Toto Drake II CST454CEFG (Double-Cyclone flush). Unfortunately, it arrived with the lid cracked in two due to shipping damage. Before contacting the seller for a replacement lid, I have a question about the glazing on the back of the tank. The whole center section of the back of the tank is all splotchy instead of smooth. I have attached three photos to illustrate. My question is, is this normal or a manufacturing defect? Since it is in the back, it won't show, but it would be nice to know if I should request a new tank, or just a replacement for the broken lid.

TankBack3sm.jpg
TankBack2sm.jpg
TankBack1sm.jpg

I am looking for a good source for replacement parts (planning ahead), particularly the flapper. Lowes has two flappers made by Korky for Toto toilets, one blue, one red. Toto replacement equivalents are listed as THU138S and THU140S, but I don't remember which is which. The red one is listed as a G-Max flapper. The replacement for mine is the THU253S (E-Max) which is red (or bright pink) and has a float attached to the chain above the flapper. Is the G-Max flapper the same as the E-Max flapper without the float, or are there other differences? Any suggestions on a good place to order replacement parts would be appreciated. Thanks.

CapstanRec

Reaction score
Just wanted to stop by and say I installed a Toto Drake II with CEFIONTECT last night in my upstairs bathroom. It installed easily and works great. I really like the double cyclone flush. As someone mentioned in a previous post, the tank I received had a small section on the back right cut out (C shaped).

I have a Toto Aquia III in my downstairs half bath. So far I've been very pleased with Toto products! Thanks for the good advice.

jiawa

Reaction score
I installed a Drake (CST744S) about a month ago in my upstairs bathroom. It is truely amazing!
Now I am thinking about replacing the one in the downstairs half bath. But going through different modles, I may either get another Drake. This is nothing I don't like about the one I indstalled. So why bother for a different model?. Or I am also considering the Drake II. I really don't care about the height. I am perfectly happy with the height of Drake I have. As a matter of fact, I wonder if the ADA model would be a little too high for me. I am not worried much about the 1.28 vs 1.6 either. I can't believe how little water the Drake uses compared with the old one I am replacing, and I can't image how much more water the 1.28 can save. Now, the question is if CEFIONTECT and the Double Cyclone worth the upgrade. I am sure there are people here went through the same and I'd be happy to hear your opinions. TIA!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I have CEFIONTECT on both my toilets. It does lengthen the time between cleanings, and cleans up faster than my old toilets that didn't have it. So, I think it is worth it. The double-cyclone appeals to me as an engineer, as it does do a better bowl wash (not that that is needed, depends on diet and health).

Chriscic

Reaction score
I recently had 3 new Toto Drakes (CST744 I believe... the elongated ones) installed in my house based largely on the great reviews here. So far, I am bitterly disappointed. Perhaps by posting here someone can point out something I am doing wrong.

All three have clogged within the first month of installation. To avoid this is exactly why I replaced the old toilets (as well as to avoid overflows and ruining the downstairs ceiling again). Not only do they clog, but they seem super hard to unclog vs. the old toilets. Really, plunging a toilet over and over and over and having little pieces of crap splashing on me/the floor is not my idea of a good time.

Two questions: 1) Is there anything with installation that may need to (or can) be tweaked? Our handyman installed. 2) I'm unclear on whether or not there are multiple flush modes, e.g. pull quickly for liquids and hold for solids. I know the first two clogs (by me) I only pulled quickly the first time. Maybe this contributed to the problem, although subsequent longer pulls wouldn't clear the clog either. Anyway, I didn't see anything on the Toto website that suggested that there were multiple flush modes to begin with.

Any thought appreciated. Thanks!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
To flush any non-dual flush toilet, push the handle down all the way and release. Yes, on some you can get it to short-cycle, but it isn't guaranteed to work. You can call it a feature if you want, but is not designed or intended to be used that way.

Totos generally come from the factory with the water level preset properly, but you might check that. If the water level in the tank isn't proper, it doesn't have the head (or pressure) of the falling water to flush as designed. Then, make sure that the hose from the fill valve is pointing into the overflow tube. That is what refills the bowl. Both the bowl and the tank must be filled to their proper levels to work.

If the wax seal was not centered properly, part of it could be blocking the outlet of the toilet. If a wax seal with a plastic horn was used, on some flanges, it can get squeezed partially shut, clogging things (regular wax is the least expensive and best). Finally, if the drain lines are partially clogged, no toilet will work properly.

Last, if you are in the 1% or so that produces exceptionally large and/or hard stools for some medical condition, you may need a different toilet. The ones often suggested for that are those made by Caroma. If you use a lot of toilet paper, and it is something like Charmin, many toilets will have problems. Maybe a bidet seat would be a nice addition!

My mother has two Drakes in her home, and does not have problems.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
I'm thinking it's a plumbing problem, not a toilet problem. The poster said the 3 old toilets also clogged; did a real plumber check out the waste plumbing? Unlikey 6 toilets would all have a clogging problem.

Chriscic

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure neither myself nor my wife are in that 1% with the referenced medical condition : ) She may use too much paper (histoically she's generated most of the clogs), but I clogged two of the new Totos myself so I couldn't blame her there.

I figured the old ones clogged a lot because our house was built in 1992 and that's just about when the new lower gallons per flush standard came out, and toilet manufacturers didn't really know what they were doing yet.

I haven't had a plumber check out the waste plumbing... wouldn't know where to start. Is that a particular part of the overall plumbing system? Does that mean anything more than the pipes coming to/from each toilet? Thanks.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Consider that most of us that us Toto toilets are pretty smug with the fact that we virtually never have a clogged toilet, and the few times that we do, it is not the fault of the toilet. Now you have replace 3 toilets that frequently clogged with Totos and they are clogging, and you want to blame the toilets? First make sure the paper you use isn't cloth based like Charmin. If that isn't the problem, forget the handyman, at least for plumbing work, and get a real plumber to find the problem. Hint...It ain't the toilets.

Last edited:

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
[Waste plumbing] Is that a particular part of the overall plumbing system? Does that mean anything more than the pipes coming to/from each toilet? Thanks.
Waste plumbing is part of the "DWV" (Drain, Waste, Vent) system -- the pipes responsible for carrying all the sewage and greywater out of the house. If the toilets were installed incorrectly, it's easy to believe they would be prone to clogging. Unlikely all the toilets would be incorrectly installed, and not caught in the plumbing inspection, but I'd bet on that before I'd bet on 6 toilets -- especially the Drakes -- clogging, unless there's an operator error involved.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
One more vote for it not being the toilets. I replaced 3 toilets in my house with 2 different Toto models, and can say these things really do not clog - virtually never.

Reader Review

Comments by readers
Reaction score
Emails and phone calls sent in by readers
Website
www.terrylove.com
We have new toilets!!

WE HAVE NEW TOILETS!!

I know you are feeling the envy kick in right about now, but don't be a hater. Turns out the Buchan family builders did not install the highest quality commodes in Trossachs way back when. Never fear...I did plenty of toilet-research (which, by the way was a really crappy job.....hahaha, toilet humor). If you find that you are using your plunger more than you what is humanly possible, you either need a colonoscopy, or some new TOTO Drake toilets and maybe ADA height with the elongated, soft close seat?

Anyways, if that time ever comes, please feel free to give a call, and I can share what I have learned on this journey. Plus, if you are super sweet to me...i might even invite you over for a visit provided you don't hold down the handle too long...as you wont need to with these fancy new flushers.

If you are ever in need of an fantastic plumber, please call Terry and his son James, they have amazing customer service, well priced, and such a decent company and highly rated by the BBB, too!

Terry Love Plumbing
12108 NE 163rd St
Bothell WA 98011
425-806-5683 bothell
877-808-5683 toll free

Thanks for sharing in our exciting news. Got to run.....(hahahaha- more toilet humor!)

:)
Pamela

Last edited by a moderator:

MamaPajama

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here... got a question about what to expect from the Toto Drake installation we have scheduled 2 days from now... made the decision from reading the reviews on this thread.

We are replacing a Gerber from 1994 that is repeatedly stopping up for our 17 year old son. Plumber has been handling the clogs, but suggested we replace the toilet if it continues, which it has.

The son is not using too much paper, the sewer line is not clogged. He is not a tall or large person... is a healthy active boy with good digestion and a healthy weight. He has tried various things to "break up" the solid waste before flushing, flushes repeatedly (after full tank refills) during the process, all to no avail. He says that the diameter of the waste is large (maybe as large as his ankle?), and he can't see how ANY toilet will handle that. When I look at the videos of the MaP tests, the solid test material is not large in diameter. So I wonder if he is right, that no toilet will easily handle this issue.

Any thoughts from those of you who have used the Toto Drake about whether or not we will solve our problem?
If not, what else should we consider?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks