(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Toto Drake toilet product review

DIY Senior Member Runs with bison's Avatar

Thumbs up Eco Drake review

Initial review: Eco Drake elongated, standard height with sanagloss (1.28 gpf Watersense certified)

Replacement for 1994 round Gerber (three of them in the home.) MaP for the old toilet is about 150, with a 1.6 gpf nominal flush. This is a test install, ironically in place of the only Gerber that has not clogged on us. I wanted to see the new Drake in place before ordering for the other two baths and this one is in the master bath so that I could judge its performance more closely.

Appearance:
    The Eco Drake is a very attractive toilet with simple lines. The bowl was made in Vietnam according to its box. The tank was U.S. made according to its box. In the bowl there is a slight geometric left/right assymetry of the forward water siphon ledge that is under the water line. Underneath at the trap outlet ledge there was also a slight deformation toward the backside of the toilet. If this had been a showroom situation rather than an order, I probably would have rejected the bowl for another because of the cosmetic blemish. I'm curious to see how the next two look. If they look better I might move this one to the basement or even request an exchange.

Install:
    Install was straightforward with regards to assembling the toilet. No problem achieving 3 points of contact with a little tightening, no leaks anywhere. The closet flange face in the home was over 1/4" below tile level that was being compensated for with a jumbo wax seal on the old toilet. Rectified this with a Sioux Chief 7/16" extension ring.

Performance:
    No problems observed so far, only three full days of use.

Flushes quickly and cleanly...emphasizing cleanly. Material would sometimes stick to the porcelain of the Gerber, especially at the back above the tiny water spot. This sometimes required a second flush and other times a brush. I've not yet seen any reason for a second flush with the Drake. The toilet will save a lot more water than the 1.6 to 1.28 gpf nominal difference.

The waterspot of the Toto is well conceived. The depth in the actual trap is better than the old Gerber at keeping smelly solids below the surface. The shallow pool surrounding that provides a generous waterspot (about 4 times the area of the Gerber.) The Gerber's poor waterspot/trap design led to extra courtesy flushes to minimize odor as well as trying to prevent stains/skid marks.

The elongated bowl and larger waterspot is a big improvement for me (male) when doing my business at night without turning on any lights. No annoying drips and I can hear that I've hit the ample water target immediately. When seated the elongated bowl also eliminates unwanted contact of an appendage with the front of the rim--so glad to be rid of the round bowl!

During flushing I've not observed any splash, mist, or spray from the bowl so far. I also did a seated flush to verify this impresson. Overall, this is a much more hygenic toilet than what I've been saddled with in the past.

Water consumption: I've only done a crude water meter test so far of two separate flushes. They came in at ~1.4 gpf +/- about .1 gpf. I'll retest with multiple flushes when I get a chance. Things such as the level and chain appear to be properly adjusted, but I'll recheck them. By comparison the Gerber came in at 1.8 gpf vs. 1.6 nominal.

Conclusion: I've requested two more Eco Drakes through the supply house. They will get more difficult duty and I'll learn if there are any flush performance issues. The other two Gerbers have both clogged once in the past 48 hours. The Drakes can't come soon enough...

Great review RWB - helps make the case for anyone (including me) weighing a 1.28 Eco Drake against 1.6 Drake for pure performance reasons. Please keep us informed as time and usage goes on!

Wired

TOTO Drake 800 grams by Veritech, Video
    Last edited by Terry; 11-08-2009 at 09:31 AM.

Default Interesting observation

Hello All. I am newby here.

I just got installed a Drake Elongated ADA toilet to replace an OK Eljer Patriot 1.6 gpf per Terry’s recommendations. The Eljer was able to handles all my needs but I got tired of wasting extra water in a second flush to completely clean the bowl. Most of the time there are always some residues left behind. But the main reason is that my wife always clog the toilet as a result of one of her side effects of being pregnant i.e. constipation. So as a devoted husband, I have to unclog the toilet every time she uses it.

There is the interesting observation. I will describe it without too grossing you out. After the install, everything is so far so good. The Drake has a powerful flush, water doesn’t splash out compared with the Eljer. So far I am happy. The next day I took the toilet for a real world test flush. Once done, I push the lever and whoosh! Everything there is gone!. I was happy until my wife had to go. After a short time, my wife calls me and said she clogged the TOTO. Yep, she did it.

She made the mistake of trying of flush again and the water level was about 3 inches before spilling out from the bowl. No problem, I pulled out the plunger and began to work. Nope! It didn’t bugged. Tried again and still nothing. Definitely is not excessive paper. So I pulled my little hand crank auger and once I inserted it about a foot, I felt the obstruction. Apparently, two chunks of solids got wedged side by side plus some paper made the toilet clogged. So, I just pushed the obstruction a bit and next thing there was a big whoosh! Everything went down to the drain. I was really surprised since it was a first time I have seen this. Other toilets will flush but not as powerful as I have seen when gets unglogged. I have to say, the trapway design is very efficient without any tight turns.

My wife felt bad that even we spent a good amount of money for a good toilet she still able to clog the toilet. I told her not to worry that could be an unusual situation. To end this story, I just got a call from my wife. She told me that this time NO clogged TOTO toilet! Yey! Everything went down with a single flush! Now she is happy. Therefore, I am happy.!

cheers!

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Here is a nice little video on the Toto Drake flush

TOTO Drake 800 grams by Veritech, Video
    Last edited by Terry; 11-08-2009 at 09:09 AM.

Is there a similar model to the Toto Drake that is 16" to 17" high?

Yes,
    The ADA Drake
    CST744EL and the CST744SL
    Last edited by Terry; 11-07-2009 at 03:40 PM.

What is the brown material used in that video? I mean, she's touching it without gloves, so it can't be what I'm thinking.

Blog Entries

What is the brown material used in that video? I mean, she's touching it without gloves, so it can't be what I'm thinking.
    It's a bean paste.
    They get it from a restaurant supply.

2Bgreen's TOTO Drake
    Last edited by Terry; 11-29-2009 at 01:11 PM.

DIY Senior Member Runs with bison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by glnow View Post
    So you don't believe she took the time to "roll her own" and figured she didn't need to worry about germs because it came from her anyway? You just can't fool some folks...

Comments by readers Reader Review's Avatar
    Emails and phone calls sent in by readers

Default Dave in Bothell

Hello guys,

The toilet in the master bath works fine; great job once again - thanks.
    Dave in Bothell

Dave now has two Toto Drake elongated toilets

Default Johnny Seal

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your feedback on this toilet. I can't wait to install it. The Johnny seal that the plumbing store gave me for my new Toto Drake seems a bit thin or more low profile than the regular rings (about half the thickness). Do Toto toilets use thinner rings to seal the base?

You may or not need a single or a double wax ring.
    Unless the flange is above the floor, you will need two wax rings.
    Last edited by Terry; 11-21-2009 at 09:34 AM.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

The wax ring needs to be thick enough to squish when you set the toilet. Each situation is a little different. Depends on where your flange is and the toilet to determine the thickness needed.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Blog Entries

The Toto Drake is the best two-piece toilet.

It has a consistent rinse and flush.
    Parts are easy to get.
    Less then 1% defects, which is almost unheard of in the industry.

The Sanagloss option is nice too for even better cleaning.

The bowls are flat on the bottom.
    And they will cover most old footprints, which is a real plus when replacing toilets.

A good solid flush, with little noise.

Smile Installed a new Toto Drake - took out one builder grade "toilet"

Terry,

Thank you very much for your web site. After much research on your site and others, I went with the Toto Drake to replace one of our builder grade "toilets".

I installed it myself and then planned some tests. The hardest part of the install was taking out the older toilet. The Toto was a very easy install. I can consistently plug up industrial grade toilets. The builder's grade toilet that I replaced required a plunging each time and 3-4 flushes. To test the Toto, I did my best, and included a lot of paper. Swoosh, glug, glug. ONE FLUSH!

By the way, I emailed Toto to get two color chips to get an exact match on the color in our bathroom. Toto sent the chips the next day. Other manufacturers required that I pay for the color chips, make other phone calls to other departments, etc. - not!

I will be replacing my other toilets in the house with Toto Drakes.

Thanks again,
    David

Thumbs up replacement of sterling toilet (kohler) with Toto Drake

I did a bit of research before requesting permission of my landlord ( I live in an apartment) for replacement of my toilets with ADA compliant toilets. The toilet I had in my last apartment were American Standard toilets and in my current place they were round Sterling toilets. Neither brand worked well for my purposes and the American Standard toilets were very prone to clogging and the round sterlings barely letting me do both #1 and #2 simultaneously without urine on the floor. Being a big guy with some current health issues I had the need for an elongated ADA replacement. After some digging I found this site where I read the reviews and after receiving permission from my landlord I bought the toilet from a local plumbing supply house. The apartment maintenance who installed the toilet had never experienced the toilet before and when testing the toilet was shocked at the quick flush. I am so far happy with the performance of the commode and have stopped using the other bathroom in my apartment that has a sterling still installed in the bathroom. I would recommend this toilet to others who have need of a good solid toilet.

stalag
    Last edited by stalag; 01-05-2010 at 10:02 AM. Reason: spelling

Default Happy but.......

I installed 2 Drake CST744SG's barely a year ago and really like them. A couple of problems though. The chrome on flush knobs are bubbling and the plastic "spud" that goes through the tank holding the flush knob on one of them has broken where the nut threads on. I just got done speaking to Toto tech and they are sending the parts, as a courtesy! Not covered under warranty. I would expect these items to have a better design life for the money!