T0T0 Drake toilet product review

Users who are viewing this thread

Glnow

Reaction score
What is the brown material used in that video? I mean, she's touching it without gloves, so it can't be what I'm thinking.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
What is the brown material used in that video? I mean, she's touching it without gloves, so it can't be what I'm thinking.
It's a bean paste.
They get it from a restaurant supply.

attachment.php

2Bgreen's TOTO Drake

Last edited:
Reaction score

So you don't believe she took the time to "roll her own" and figured she didn't need to worry about germs because it came from her anyway? :D You just can't fool some folks...

Yaozer

Reaction score
Johnny Seal

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your feedback on this toilet. I can't wait to install it. The Johnny seal that the plumbing store gave me for my new Toto Drake seems a bit thin or more low profile than the regular rings (about half the thickness). Do Toto toilets use thinner rings to seal the base?

You may or not need a single or a double wax ring.
Unless the flange is above the floor, you will need two wax rings.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The wax ring needs to be thick enough to squish when you set the toilet. Each situation is a little different. Depends on where your flange is and the toilet to determine the thickness needed.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Toto Drake is the best two-piece toilet.

It has a consistent rinse and flush.
Parts are easy to get.
Less then 1% defects, which is almost unheard of in the industry.

The CEFIONTECT option is nice too for even better cleaning.

The bowls are flat on the bottom.
And they will cover most old footprints, which is a real plus when replacing toilets.

A good solid flush, with little noise.

Dholling

Dave
Reaction score
Installed a new Toto Drake - took out one builder grade "toilet"

Terry,

Thank you very much for your web site. After much research on your site and others, I went with the Toto Drake to replace one of our builder grade "toilets".

I installed it myself and then planned some tests. The hardest part of the install was taking out the older toilet. The Toto was a very easy install. I can consistently plug up industrial grade toilets. The builder's grade toilet that I replaced required a plunging each time and 3-4 flushes. To test the Toto, I did my best, and included a lot of paper. Swoosh, glug, glug. ONE FLUSH!

By the way, I emailed Toto to get two color chips to get an exact match on the color in our bathroom. Toto sent the chips the next day. Other manufacturers required that I pay for the color chips, make other phone calls to other departments, etc. - not!

I will be replacing my other toilets in the house with Toto Drakes.

Thanks again,
David

Stalag

Reaction score
replacement of sterling toilet (kohler) with Toto Drake

I did a bit of research before requesting permission of my landlord ( I live in an apartment) for replacement of my toilets with ADA compliant toilets. The toilet I had in my last apartment were American Standard toilets and in my current place they were round Sterling toilets. Neither brand worked well for my purposes and the American Standard toilets were very prone to clogging and the round sterlings barely letting me do both #1 and #2 simultaneously without urine on the floor. Being a big guy with some current health issues I had the need for an elongated ADA replacement. After some digging I found this site where I read the reviews and after receiving permission from my landlord I bought the toilet from a local plumbing supply house. The apartment maintenance who installed the toilet had never experienced the toilet before and when testing the toilet was shocked at the quick flush. I am so far happy with the performance of the commode and have stopped using the other bathroom in my apartment that has a sterling still installed in the bathroom. I would recommend this toilet to others who have need of a good solid toilet.

stalag

Last edited:

Presto

Reaction score
Happy but.......

I installed 2 Drake CST744SG's barely a year ago and really like them. A couple of problems though. The chrome on flush knobs are bubbling and the plastic "spud" that goes through the tank holding the flush knob on one of them has broken where the nut threads on. I just got done speaking to Toto tech and they are sending the parts, as a courtesy! Not covered under warranty. I would expect these items to have a better design life for the money!

Reaction score
I installed 2 Drake CST744SG's barely a year ago and really like them. A couple of problems though. The chrome on flush knobs are bubbling and the plastic "spud" that goes through the tank holding the flush knob on one of them has broken where the nut threads on. I just got done speaking to Toto tech and they are sending the parts, as a courtesy! Not covered under warranty. I would expect these items to have a better design life for the money!

Presto, has anyone used any cleaning materials that might have caused the bubbling (as in anything other than simple soap and hot water?) If so, what material was it so that I can avoid the problem? Thanks!

TSund

Reaction score
having problems

Hello,

We installed an Eco-drake in our lake house and loved it so much that we decided to replace our home's masterbath toilet with one. That toilet had frequent cloggin problems, remedied with a plunger.

My dad installed the toilet, and noted that the the drain is put on a Y. He said that is due to mismeasurement by contractor?

I don't know if this is the cause of the problem, but I need to do something. We still get frequent clogs. I need a recommendation. Will raising toilet up help? Would the flapper modification be the same as replacing with a regular Drake? If I"m to replace another toilet in the house on the 2nd floorm should I switch this one with a more powerful flush? Looking for most cost effiecient way to do this, but WANT the problem solved.

I so appreciate your help. I am bummed about this. I guess I wouldn't have put in the smaller eco-drake if I"d known about the Y in the drain.

THanks

TRS

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would pull the bowl and make sure there is nothing blocking the exit.

The directions on the box of wax, show the wax stuck to the "bowl".
Plumbers put the wax on the "floor" and then drop the bowl on that.

Also, some horn wax rings will flatten out on some flanges.
There is a high rise in Bellevue, where the entire building was plumbed with Sterling toilets and the small closet flanges.
We're changing out the building bathroom by bathroom with Toto toilets it seems. And not using the horned wax there.

Reader Review

Comments by readers
Reaction score
Emails and phone calls sent in by readers
Website
www.terrylove.com
TOTO Drake CST744S

Dear Terry.....I've personally installed a dozen Toto Drake 1.6 gpf toilets in my rentals and for family. They are great low flow toilets that really work as you have indicated.

I've come across a new Toto Eco Drake 1.28 gpf with a E-max flush system.......Do you have any thoughts or experience on this toilet?

Thanks/Rick

Reader Review

Comments by readers
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
TOTO Drake CST744S

We bought a 1.6 gpf Toto from you a few years ago. It works very well. We are now considering getting another Toto. I see there are now some 1.28 gpf totos on the market: the CST 743 and 744.

Do these 1.28 gpf totos flush as well as the 1.6?

Thanks

Don T
Olympia

Last edited by a moderator:

Reader Review

Comments by readers
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
TOTO Drake CST744S

Hi Terry,

A number of years ago, you directed me to buy a Toto toilet for one of our other bathrooms. I heeded your recommendation and purchased, and installed, a Toto Drake elongated-bowl and have been very pleased. It's performed extremely well since for almost 8 years.

Don A
Urbana, IL

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks