T0T0 Drake toilet product review

Users who are viewing this thread

Markee

Reaction score
Well never thought i could get excited about a toilet but I was able to grab 2 brand new Drake, CST744S off craigslist $175.00 for them both. They were pulled from a old age home tenant there needed special toilets installed and couldn't use them.

Also confirmed with Toto that they do have the Sana-gloss option
Toto said If you take your finger, start in the middle of the bowl, and run it up to the lip. If it stays smooth, you have CEFIONTECT. If it turns rough, you don't.

Both installed and working great

I found a guy locally online selling 2 Toto toilets $100 a piece maybe both for $150 used but he says in like new condition
I asked what model he says Model number is ST743S

Says there beige colored and elongated bowls

This is the picture below

Can some tell me exactly which Drake model this is from that model # and the picture ?

I plan on grabbing these just looking for any advice on what I should look for when i meet the guy to buy them to make sure I"m getting a good deal and not someone else's problems

I'm no toilet master

Bsmitts

Reaction score
Hello, I have read all the posts for the Drake toilet and am impressed, however I am wanting to replace an old American Standard 3.5 gpf toilet. The house is 45 years old with cast iron sewer lines. Never had clogging issues in the past. Does anyone have any insight on the Toto CST423SFG? I'm not getting any younger and would like to have a toilet with a higher bowl since I'm over 6 ft. tall. Does anyone have any experience with this model before I pull the trigger on this and order it online(not a dealer within 300 miles of me). I am told that it has the 3" flush valve and G-max features of the drake. If i'm right I don't see any Drake model that has a bowl height more than 14.63". If I'm wrong please correct me on this as it will help me with my decision. Thanks for your input.

Nukeman

Nuclear Engineer
Reaction score
Hello, I have read all the posts for the Drake toilet and am impressed, however I am wanting to replace an old American Standard 3.5 gpf toilet. The house is 45 years old with cast iron sewer lines. Never had clogging issues in the past. Does anyone have any insight on the Toto CST423SFG? I'm not getting any younger and would like to have a toilet with a higher bowl since I'm over 6 ft. tall. Does anyone have any experience with this model before I pull the trigger on this and order it online(not a dealer within 300 miles of me). I am told that it has the 3" flush valve and G-max features of the drake. If i'm right I don't see any Drake model that has a bowl height more than 14.63". If I'm wrong please correct me on this as it will help me with my decision. Thanks for your input.

Here is the taller version of the Drake: https://terrylove.com/pdf/cst744sl.pdf

You should also take a look at the Drake II. It has a lot of nice features. https://terrylove.com/pdf/cst454cefg.pdf

StaceyNeil

Reaction score
Can someone briefly describe the differences between the regular Drake and the Drake II/Eco Drake/Gwyneth-Vespin?

I am looking for a toilet for our hall bath that is this price range or less. Also considering the Cadet 3 line. We have a Toto Aquia III and although I love the looks and comfort, and it's never clogged, my husband REALLY hates the "skid marks" that happen all the time. He's adamant that the new toilet is designed to avoid these. I suspect a larger water spot is key? The Cadet 3 advertises 9" x 8" water surface, anyone know what the Drake 2 has for water surface size?

Thanks!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Toto Dalton CST733F
Tall bowl that is round, 26-1/4" long.

Or CST743 round bowl Drake
The CST423EG Promenade with CEFIONTECT and round.

CentralTXPreacher

Reaction score
Toto Drake...what a toilet!

After reading all the reviews on Toto, I finally broke down and bought a Drake. To be honest I didn't want to spend the money and was about to go with the Dalton, but realized that if I broke the difference down for 10 years, it was pennies on the dollar.

My decision to buy a new toilet finally came about after spending a morning plunging my old toilet, again. That was not the excercise program I wanted. Also, it "flushed" twice on its own in the middle of the night. So I knew it was also wasting money. I knew not to waste my money on a new flapper on a toilet that I was contiually plunging. That afternoon on the way home from work I picked it up and by that night I had it in. It was easy to install, I only worried about cracking it by getting the nuts too tight.

When I flushed it, I don't know what I expected, but my wife and I looked at each other and went, "wow". It was so fast compared to our old one we almost missed it. In fact we have joked that if our little beagle dog were to get too close to it, that it would suck him in.

After several weeks of using it, I can say, "This toilet is a winner!" I'm now saving my nickles and dimes to replace the one in the guest bath with a drake also.

All I can say to those who are looking to purchase a new toilet, this one is great and keep your small animals away from it because you may never see them again!;) I never dreamed I would be so excited over a toilet!

CentralTxPreacher

P.S. I just realized that I should have posted this under the Drake Review...don't know what I was thinking starting a new post. If the moderator wants to move it to there, that would be great! Sorry about that.

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Another convert to Totoism... :D

I just wanted to let you know it is okay if you bring house guests to see your Toto Drake flush...

It really is!

It happens frequently with new converts to Totoism...

Tspriggs

Reaction score
Look Ma, No Toilet Seat

I am about to order the Toto Drake, but ambivalent if no seat comes with it. But, it appears this toilet is good enough to overlook that fact. Does the manufacturer make a standard seat for it? I would hope so. What if I bought a Corvette and they said, "So sorry, it doesnt come with seats--those are extra." hahaha

Outstanding website! Very helpful and informative.

I followed your advice and bought a Toto Drake (elongated) unit. I am very happy with it. A couple of negatives; No hold-down bolts included. No wax doughnut included; No seat included; None of this was on the boxes. Fortunately, I do a lot of work on the house although I?m not a plumber and I had this stuff ?in stock?. For DIYs, it might mean another trip to the hardware store. It is louder than I expected although not nearly as loud as the contractor special that came with the house. I?m just curious whether the Ultramax would have been a better choice.

I purchased the Drake for about US$ *** including what turned out to be a nice seat ($**). The Ultramax would have been only $35 more and it included a seat. I chose the two-piece Drake partly because it would be easier to lug up the stairs and drop over the hole. I think my next one will be the Ultramax.

Overall, very happy. I?ll be recommending it to my neighbors (Tract subdivision with the same crappy toilets in all (no pun intended
J ) ). They will be needing new ones soon.

Thanks again for the great resource.

Jeff

Toilets don't come with other parts like wax, closet bolts, supply tubes or seats.
Just as cameras don't come with film and memory cards either.
Terry

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Most of the big-box stores are now selling toilets in kits, complete with all installation supplies. The toilets are usually junk, but you do get the "free" seal, bolts, caps, and seat. Our local orange store has a complete kit for $98; I'll bet you get what you pay for. As for what we think of Toto, we are an all-Drake house, and my wife wants to send her sister one for a birthday present.

Tspriggs

Reaction score
I think I'll be the next follower of Totoism. Toto Drake soon to be installed. Have a plumber friend who is getting prices and will install for cheaper than I thought. I've done the "research" and this one is top shelf from what people are posting.

Reaction score
Website
www.obamatheplumber.com
Almost no two piece toilets come with seats, from any manufacturer.
Some one-piece toilets come with seats, but not even for all of those.

Sometimes a homeowner will want to use their old seat, I have no idea why, I think it's kind of disgusting to put an old seat on a new bowl.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jdon88

Reaction score
I just replaced a 1962 Sears Roebuck toilet with a Drake, CST744EL. Easy to install, barely fit my 11" rough in. I went with a $14. seat from HD instead of the toto seats and it is fine. So far I love the operation and the amount of water saved is ridiculous. Maybe I'll have to replace the 1954 American standard in my other bathroom with another Toto. Here are before and after pics.

jdon88_3.jpg

Pwjone1

Engineer
Reaction score
Toto Drake and Latest MaP ratings?

I see here a lot of testimonials for the Toto Drakes, and that's definitely goodness. Nothing like real world experience.

One thing I noticed, the latest MaP ratings, showed the Drakes as topping out at 800 (which is also the high for all the Totos), as versus the 1000 for some of the other toilets.

I've tried to net it down more clearly, from the spreadsheet, so you can see the MaP ratings, attached below.

Now, 800 is still a pretty decent rating, and it says really nothing about bowl cleaning action/capability, one of the fortes of the Drakes, and I suppose there might be a trade-off between bowl cleaning and raw flushing ability/capacity. Any thoughts?

TotoDrakeMAP.jpg

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I see here a lot of testimonials for the Toto Drakes, and that's definitely goodness. Nothing like real world experience.

One thing I noticed, the latest MaP ratings, showed the Drakes as topping out at 800 (which is also the high for all the Totos), as versus the 1000 for some of the other toilets.

I've tried to net it down more clearly, from the spreadsheet, so you can see the MaP ratings, attached below.

Now, 800 is still a pretty decent rating, and it says really nothing about bowl cleaning action/capability, one of the fortes of the Drakes, and I suppose there might be a trade-off between bowl cleaning and raw flushing ability/capacity. Any thoughts?

Hi PW,

My thoughts on this is actually a mix of information...

While the MaP Report is a great resource it is only part of what makes a toilet good.

If you read the entire report you will see that the reason they don't test above 1,000 grams per flush and that the reason the WaterSense certification threshold was set to 350 grams per flush is that 350 grams is larger than the fecal size for the 99th percentile of the male population.

Toilets use 1.6 gallons per flush, and new ones use 1.28 gallons per flush...
There is even one that uses 0.8 gallons per flush...

Mentioned in the MaP report is bowl wash. The higher flush ratings often come at the expense of bowl wash...
This bowl wash is what leaves the bowl clean after flushing...
What good is a toilet than needs brushing and a 2nd flush after after every use?
Yes some are that bad!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Some of the very early MaP testing had the Toto Ultimate MS854114 at 325 grams.
I had one installed in my home for two years, and installed four in my church.
They were flawless.

I then installed a Kohler Cimarron with double the MaP rating, and it was plugged weekly.
There was no bowl rinse at the back of the bowl either.

There is only so much you learn from a test done in just one way.
Since the MaP has started wrapping the paste in plastic, so the can reuse the media over and over again, is that the test numbers went way up.
It didn't mean the bowls were better, just that the test method had changed from lightweight sticky media to heavier slippery media.
Of course the numbers go better.

I've found that in real use, anything with a 500 MaP is extremely good. And yes, bowl wash is very important, and no, the MaP doesn't test for:

Does not test for:
Bowl Wash
Quality of porcelain,
Fit and finish
How long the internal tank parts last
How loud they are
How much water gets splashed onto the seat
What percentage are defective from the factory
Whether the entire bowl is rinsed, or just portions,
Whether you can get replacement parts,

This is where our reporting comes in, we listen to husbands, wives and children and find out what is working for them.
I've seen grandchildren that won't use certain toilets, sometimes you go into a home, and the young kids are using ear muffs when they use the toilet.
One of the Consumer Reports "Best Buy" toilets are so startling, that the women in my household wouldn't leave me alone until I replaced it. They absolutely hated it. That model isn't sold anymore, parts became non-existent and the manufacturer that made the inner tank went out of business. Not something that Consumer Reports seems to care about.
They now give a best buy to the Gerber dual flush tank with the Chinese tank. They have been failing withing six months for me, so I quit selling that tank.
That doesn't stop Consumer Reports from giving it a "Best Buy" though. I thought that 40% returns in six months was horrible.

Has the Toto been rock solid, yes.
I sell hundreds and hundreds, most of them repeat sales.
I can sell any toilet one time to a customer, but you can't make them buy a second one, unless they really liked the first one.

Here is their original method of testing using un-wrapped media, the floaty sticky stuff.

[video=youtube;CmuzFve6O4k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmuzFve6O4k[/video]

Last edited:

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Real-world poop

One day, after a spectacular poop, I decided to weigh it just to see what an 800 MaP toilet ought to swallow. I remember being disappointed, but don't remember the exact weight -- around 350g, I think. An 800 MAP certainly works for me.

GoshenPlumber

Reaction score
Toto Drake: Comparison between reviews at this site & at "***************"

Toto Drake: Comparison between review

After reading the consumer reviews of the Toto Drake at this web site, I am convinced that the Drake is the toilet to replace our dinosaur 7GPF toilet.

Terry, I do have a question about consumer reviews of the Drake. There is another web site that also has consumer reviews of the Toto Drake. And I noticed that about 10%-15% of consumers at that site had a strong negative review of the Drake, either due to leaks or to clogs.

Terry, do you have an opinion on why the difference in positive reviews between your web site and others? Do you think the difference could be due to poor installation by either consumers with not enough experience or plumbers who make mistakes?

Thank you.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There's a small percentage of people who have extremely hard, large stools, and few toilets will pass them without clogging. The Caroma is often recommended for them. Terry recommends a 10-second precaution task when installing a tank on a two-piece toilet...quickly sanding the surface to smooth the raw porcelain where the bolt and gasket go. Often not needed, but a quick, easy precaution from a small bump preventing the washer from sealing. Then, many people are afraid to tighten the tank up, and this can lead to leaks. Last, during transport, the big nut that holds the flapper seat assembly to the tank might need a tightening to ensure it will seal. These are all little things a DIY'er may not know about or consider, but could lead to a leak. It just makes sense to make sure everything is tight before installing it. If this is done, there rarely is a leak. The last thing is if a toilet leaks from the base flange seal. No toilet will maintain a good seal if it rocks after installation. If it does not sit flat, it must be shimmed, or it WILL break the seal. You may not see a leak, but it could happen. So, properly installed, no toilet should leak, but especially on a two-piece one, you have some extra places where it could leak, and the little precautions should prevent them from occurring.

Few DIY'ers replace many toilets, so they don't know all the tricks of the trade. My feeling is, that the problems listed could and probably would have happened with any toilet they installed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks