(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Toto Drake toilet product review

Comments by readers Reader Review's Avatar
    Emails and phone calls sent in by readers

Default 7/21/2006

The Toto Drake was installed 11/2005 even though the plumber thought it might be hard to get repair parts. Not one clog in 8 months. The American Standard 3.5 gal it replaced would need the plunger at least once a week. We are replacing the other 2 toilets with Toto drakes next week. The plumber is still trying to talk us into the new American Standard toilets, but 8 months trouble free made the choice of Toto the right one for us.
    Thanks for the helpful reviews.
    Brian in Ohio

Default Wed, 26 Jul 2006

I had a Gerber low flow toilet installed and it was constantly plugged and overflowing.
    (I did not pick the Gerber - the plumber did)
    Thanks to your web site, I learned the Toto Drake is the way to go. It is like a
    miracle! I had the Gerber only about three weeks
    and then my daughter installed the Drake for me. I cannot thank you enough.
    C. Gibbons Grants Pass Or

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek Mikey's Avatar

Installed my mail-order Toto Drake last night and am happy to say it went in well and works as advertised. Elongated, ATA height, Bemis seat all work together to provide a very comfortable ride. Instructions need some editing -- somebody at Toto should sit down with a new toilet and the enclosed instructions and do what he can to make them match up, but an experienced DIYer can make things work.

Only hitch in the installation was one Tapcon that twisted off going into the slab -- I hate those things. With 7 other holes in the flange, it's not a big deal.
    Last edited by Mikey; 08-12-2007 at 06:53 AM.

Looks like a sports car, doesnt it? lol

Cant beat the Aquia in all areas imo.

I feel I should add my kudos for the Toto Drake and this forum.

This forum is where my toilet research ended and I ordered Toto Drakes for my new house. It's not finished, toilets are not installed yet, but I've bought or installed five other ones for other folks' renovations. They are indeed awesome.

The house I'm renovating now had a fancy Kohler low rider one piece thing that probably goes for around $1200. The flush was pathetic. It would take like 35 seconds for the water to slowly rise in the bowl, gently swirl the excrement around and gradually, ever so slowly, swallow it down, as though it were an existential drama performance. I just want it BamDone, and that what the Drake does.

It was quite gratifying to send that $1200 toilet to the landfill and put in a Toto

Peace,
    Sanaka

Toto Softclose seat
    Last edited by Terry; 01-25-2009 at 02:21 PM.

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek Mikey's Avatar

Landfill? I've been donating all my old but usable house stuff to Habitat for Humanity. They'll either use it, or sell it in one of their retail stores (which, incidentally, aren't bad places to pick up supplies for downscale projects). You could also get a tax break -- especially on a $1200 retail item.

"BamDone" -- I love it. I had heard about the abruptness of it, and how some people have replaced the valve to get a more Kohler-like flush, but didn't really believe it until I saw it. Awesome, indeed. I'm thinking about replacing our guest bath's AS PA Cadet (our "nuclear-powered toilet") with an Aquia, but we're sold on the ADA height, unavailable in the Aquia. Maybe patience will pay off.

Interesting thing about toilet heights. About 20-30 years ago, someone tried to market a toilet about 8" high -- claimed that the "natural" pooping position was the squat, and that his toilet enforced that position. Didn't say anything about how unnatural it was to stand up again and get back into your walker. (I'm not quite there yet, but working on it .)

Default Fantastic

Toto Drake -- fantastic. Don't walk--run out and get one today. Unbeatable performance. 'Nuf said.

Thank you, Terry, for this web site. You provide invaluable information about toilets.

love my Toto Drake. Thanks to your website, I listened to your reviewers and opinions and purchased the Toto Drake. As my plumber said, "Flush one second if no paper and two seconds if paper" - says it all to clog free use. Thank you for your wonderful website! God bless.

Violet from Miami

Last edited by Terry; 02-02-2008 at 03:58 PM.

Thank you for your web site. I think It was very useful in helping us find replacements
    for our aging American Standard toilets that with increasing frequency required several
    multiple gallon flushes to clear the bowl. Based on consumer feedback from your site, we
    went with the Toto Drake, and thus far couldn't be happier. Like many folks who have
    given feedback, we were initially wary of the new low volume toilets, but thus far have
    been pleasantly surprised by the performance of the Toto Drake. Thanks again for helping
    make our decision less arduous.

Raymond
    Eugene, Oregon.
    September 3, 2006

Last edited by Terry; 02-23-2008 at 05:21 PM.

The Toto Drake is simply the most effectively flushing toilet I have ever seen in my life
    (and I'm well into my 70s). It flushes strongly and quickly, and refills quickly. The
    noise level is low. It's about a month since we installed it to replace an infuriatingly
    ineffective American Standard "power flush" toilet, which frequently clogged up and whose
    air-cartridge had had to be replaced, by a plumber, 5 times in 2-1/2 years at a total
    cost each time of about $160. We're getting ready to replace the other toilet in house,
    an ancient high-water-consumption model, with another Toto Drake.

R. E. Wyllys

I was dubious of all the great (for a toilet) reviews; none of my neighbors had anything good to say about their 1.6 gallon unites, to a one, wishing for the return of their old toilets. So when we remodeled our home we felt we had no choice but to put the old (but still performing) toilets back in place. When on vacation, October 2006, the hotel had Toto El Drakes that seemed to do the job well enough and certainly better than what our neighbors led us to believe was possible. Upon return we purchased one Drake with the sana gloss finish with the intention of giving it 30 days of exclusive use, we are so pleased with the overall performance we're replacing the remaining two toilets with the same model and finish.

I could have saved time by believing the reviews but it's that old 'misery loves company' thing I've found myself trapped in too many times.

Thanks

Bob Babigan

Default Toto Drake 1 year review

In October 2005 based on information from this site and from the Map Report, I purchased a Toto Drake Model CST744SL for my second floor bathroom, the one that gets the most use, and where every toilet that I tried in that spot worked poorly for one reason or another.

So far, the Drake has performed as the "pros" here on this site said it would. It hasn't plugged, and it removes everything each time with no spit backs.

I live here in my condo for about 6.5 months of the year. The remainder of time is spent at my camp. Total savings for one person for 6.5 months was about 7000 gallons of water (and the bills were lowered accordingly).

If the Drake can save 7000 gallons for one person in just over on half year's time, imagine how much water it would save for a family.

I would recommend the Drake to anybody without hesitation.

Thanks!!

Matt (achutch)

You replaced some toilets for us at the Roanoke Tavern this summer with Toto Drake toilets. (saving us a substantial amount in our water bills).
    Chris

Terry, which Toto low-flow model would you recommend for a commercial application-- say, a restaurant restroom that gets a lot of traffic?

Thanks!
    Janice

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Commercial?
    I've been using Drake elongated, Drake ADA elongated, Ultramax, really any of the G-Max models would do.