Toilet Choices?

Users who are viewing this thread

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Jim is right. Don't give up on quality. Just open the yellow pages to plumbing supply and call around. And as a last resort, try again by that other method. But don't go buy a toilet at a big box just because you had one bad experience.

And don't demean yourself by suggesting that you'd buy an Aquasource. Even the most fervent anti-online-shopping folks on here wouldn't have you do that.

RetroGameroom

Reaction score
Have you tried calling some local plumbing supply houses? Toto isn't the greatest about listing everyone that carries their product...many places can get them, and you may be surprised at their prices, too.

What I noticed is that if the one you want is not in stock, you will pay an additional $75.00 fee.

Last edited:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Just so you know...when your post gets deleted it's because the forum doesn't believe in online toilet sales. All mine were online as well and they were fine, but I respect Terry's right as the forum owner to choose not to promote competitors whose products will arrive broken 20% of the time. So when it happens, it's not that they don't respect your input but talking about online toilet sales here is a little like saying the word Voldemort.

RetroGameroom

Reaction score
Just so you know...when your post gets deleted it's because the forum doesn't believe in online toilet sales. All mine were online as well and they were fine, but I respect Terry's right as the forum owner to choose not to promote competitors whose products will arrive broken 20% of the time. So when it happens, it's not that they don't respect your input but talking about online toilet sales here is a little like saying the word Voldemort.

I beat them to it. Thank you for the warning. The last thing I want to do is cause a problem....

I really liked our local supply house. (York Corrugating Company) Unfortunately when the company was sold, most of their "branch" locations were closed and service was not the same.

stephenk

Reaction score
The Kohler Cimarron will be much, much better than the old Mansfield Alto toilet you removed.
We remove Mansfield all the time. Consumer Reports is the only ones that liked that one.

In the most recent CR toilet test the Alto was only rated "fair" for solid waste removal and "poor" for bowl cleaning. It's one of their lowest rated models. So, in their most recent test at least, they don't "like" it.

It was more highly rated in their 2009 test, though. It came in about mid pack.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Terry
For above average size, then you would be looking at either a larger trapway, a Caroma toilet made in Australia (3" trapway in the bowl), or something with pressure assist. Kohler makes one with a Sloan Flushmate that can be ordered.

Is the Kohler with pressure assist better for me than the TOTO Ultramax 1.6g?

For that, yes.

It was more highly rated in their 2009 test, though. It came in about mid pack.
We pull out Mansfield all day. However, it was no surprise that Consumer Reports over the years has liked them. But then CR likes a lot of stuff one year, and then the next report will "unlike" them.
It would help if they listened to plumbers and homeowners instead of just making stuff up.
You can't "guess" how things will work in a home like they try to do.

Last edited:

Ncage1974

Reaction score
Hey guys hopefully its going good. I wanted to not be rude and report what happened. I did want to give sufficient time to test out things before i reported. So at this point we had the toilet for about 2.5 months. This is the toilet we went with:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_98923-70476...product_avg_rating|1&page=1&facetInfo=2-piece

and i can say we are EXTREMELY happy. I did find a local place that would sell us a toto drake II but without a seat it was $520. So when you compare $100 and almost $600 that made our choice much easier. So in the time we have yet to have the toilet clog. My old mansfield clogged all the freakn time and on top of that it uses a lot less water than the mansfield. The bowl rinse is also very good and we have had no issues. After going through this i've kind of turned into a toilet nerd :p. I finally seen a toto. My gym i go to has a toto. It only says Toto & 1.6GPF. I'm assuming its a drake but i can't be sure of course. I'm not impressed with its performance over my aquasource to be honest.

If you look on lowes reviews the only two things that will stand out is people complaining about the seat & the plastic handle. Both of course are easy to replace and the seat is a lot more comfortable and well built then the one we had on my old toilet.

Thanks for talking me to install the toilet too. It was EXTREMELY easy. The only thing i bought with my toilet was a heavy duty wax ring cause mine came with a cheap one. Anways guys thanks for the help and i would recommend the aquaflush toilets to anyone looking.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
My old mansfield clogged all the freakn time

Almost any toilet is better than an Mansfield.

mansfield_moe.jpg

Wonder how we got this Mansfield out from under that countertop? With a hammer and a bag to put the pieces in.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks