(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Toilet Choices?

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If you are having size issues, then yes, something with a better push behind it.
    The TOTO 1.6 works great for the 99%, but there is a small section out there where the volume or diameter is an issue.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

The pressure jet of water can help break things up. This is also a detriment, as when it does, it may leave behind some small pieces plus, it is louder. The Sloan Flushmate is pretty reliable...some of the clones have not proven to be. Depending on the consistency and size, it may not be enough, and the additional diameter of the trapway on the Caroma can help there.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Well, I am not sure if Terry agrees but I believe that the new American Standard Pressure Assist Cadet with a Sloan Flushmate will get the job done. It has a POWERFUL flush. It probably will never clog. Although you will probably have to get it at a local Plumbing Supply Store. My second choice is a TOTO Drake with a GMAX Flush System. I have 3 of them and they are not pressure assist but they are high performance. And Consumer Reports sucks. That guy is a full crock of crap, you shouldn't listen to that guy. Trust me, both of those toilets are awesome.

Well i wish i would have listend to Terry on this one. I ordered the toto online and it was sitting in the box until today. I found out my vanity top had been delayed from lowes. So i was going to install the toilet, and then take it back up, and then reinstall it. If i didn't i would have to worry because of the 30 day return policy. So i open the box today and its in about 20 pieces . I read a reviews and this one lady received 3 broken toilets (she even took pictures of it). So i'm not going to mess with ordering a toilet online anymore. It will have to be local and since the only local dealer that sells toto will not sell directly to the public its not going to be a toto.

I just went to lowes and sorted the toilets by customer review rating. It seems like the kohler toilets are overpriced. Right now i'm probably going to go with either a AquaSource (seems like a heck of a deal for $100) or a penguin (The overflow protection think is kind of cool). Currently i'm leaning towards the AquaSource though.
    Last edited by Terry; 02-16-2014 at 05:26 PM.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Have you tried calling some local plumbing supply houses? Toto isn't the greatest about listing everyone that carries their product...many places can get them, and you may be surprised at their prices, too.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Jim is right. Don't give up on quality. Just open the yellow pages to plumbing supply and call around. And as a last resort, try again by that other method. But don't go buy a toilet at a big box just because you had one bad experience.

And don't demean yourself by suggesting that you'd buy an Aquasource. Even the most fervent anti-online-shopping folks on here wouldn't have you do that.

If you leave a big pile of peeps get this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lr9EyCIIfbs

DIY Junior Member retrogameroom's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by jadnashua View Post
    Have you tried calling some local plumbing supply houses? Toto isn't the greatest about listing everyone that carries their product...many places can get them, and you may be surprised at their prices, too.
    What I noticed is that if the one you want is not in stock, you will pay an additional $75.00 fee.
    Last edited by retrogameroom; 07-11-2013 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Reminded that the originall content was violated TOU

Just so you know...when your post gets deleted it's because the forum doesn't believe in online toilet sales. All mine were online as well and they were fine, but I respect Terry's right as the forum owner to choose not to promote competitors whose products will arrive broken 20% of the time. So when it happens, it's not that they don't respect your input but talking about online toilet sales here is a little like saying the word Voldemort.

DIY Junior Member retrogameroom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wjcandee View Post
    Just so you know...when your post gets deleted it's because the forum doesn't believe in online toilet sales. All mine were online as well and they were fine, but I respect Terry's right as the forum owner to choose not to promote competitors whose products will arrive broken 20% of the time. So when it happens, it's not that they don't respect your input but talking about online toilet sales here is a little like saying the word Voldemort.
    I beat them to it. Thank you for the warning. The last thing I want to do is cause a problem....

I really liked our local supply house. (York Corrugating Company) Unfortunately when the company was sold, most of their "branch" locations were closed and service was not the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    The Kohler Cimarron will be much, much better than the old Mansfield Alto toilet you removed.
    We remove Mansfield all the time. Consumer Reports is the only ones that liked that one.
    In the most recent CR toilet test the Alto was only rated "fair" for solid waste removal and "poor" for bowl cleaning. It's one of their lowest rated models. So, in their most recent test at least, they don't "like" it.

It was more highly rated in their 2009 test, though. It came in about mid pack.
    Last edited by stephenk; 07-12-2013 at 12:06 PM.

Blog Entries

Originally Posted by Terry
    For above average size, then you would be looking at either a larger trapway, a Caroma toilet made in Australia (3" trapway in the bowl), or something with pressure assist. Kohler makes one with a Sloan Flushmate that can be ordered.

Is the Kohler with pressure assist better for me than the TOTO Ultramax 1.6g?
    For that, yes.

It was more highly rated in their 2009 test, though. It came in about mid pack.
    We pull out Mansfield all day. However, it was no surprise that Consumer Reports over the years has liked them. But then CR likes a lot of stuff one year, and then the next report will "unlike" them.
    It would help if they listened to plumbers and homeowners instead of just making stuff up.
    You can't "guess" how things will work in a home like they try to do.
    Last edited by Terry; 10-12-2013 at 11:08 AM.

Hey guys hopefully its going good. I wanted to not be rude and report what happened. I did want to give sufficient time to test out things before i reported. So at this point we had the toilet for about 2.5 months. This is the toilet we went with:
    http://www.lowes.com/pd_98923-70476-...etInfo=2-piece

and i can say we are EXTREMELY happy. I did find a local place that would sell us a toto drake II but without a seat it was $520. So when you compare $100 and almost $600 that made our choice much easier. So in the time we have yet to have the toilet clog. My old mansfield clogged all the freakn time and on top of that it uses a lot less water than the mansfield. The bowl rinse is also very good and we have had no issues. After going through this i've kind of turned into a toilet nerd :P. I finally seen a toto. My gym i go to has a toto. It only says Toto & 1.6GPF. I'm assuming its a drake but i can't be sure of course. I'm not impressed with its performance over my aquasource to be honest.

If you look on lowes reviews the only two things that will stand out is people complaining about the seat & the plastic handle. Both of course are easy to replace and the seat is a lot more comfortable and well built then the one we had on my old toilet.

Thanks for talking me to install the toilet too. It was EXTREMELY easy. The only thing i bought with my toilet was a heavy duty wax ring cause mine came with a cheap one. Anways guys thanks for the help and i would recommend the aquaflush toilets to anyone looking.

DIY kid who loves toilets Starwarsith88's Avatar

ejanning, the kohler pressure assist is a very good toilet. Lot's of power
    If you need to go with a new toilet, go with a TOTO!

Blog Entries

My old mansfield clogged all the freakn time
    Almost any toilet is better than an Mansfield.

Wonder how we got this Mansfield out from under that countertop? With a hammer and a bag to put the pieces in.
    Last edited by Terry; 10-12-2013 at 10:54 AM.