Recommendation about two softners and useing salt saving resin

Users who are viewing this thread

spete112

Reaction score
Can I please get a recommendation as to which softener to purchase. The prices seem to be comparable to each other. I am most concerned with 5-10 years from now finding parts and people that would services my softener if need be. The first one I can get from a local Plumbing wholesale house. The brand that they carry is the Water Soft they talk about it coming with a Isobar II control valve. The model of the softener is a HD33. Both softeners are metered and both have the vortech for back washing. The second softener is from a online company that has been talked about on this site more than once. He wanted to sell me a Flex 5600SXT on demand with 64000 grain capacity.

Again what I am most concerned about is if this person decided to retire or the wholesale house changes brands which would be the easiest to services and find parts for?

Last question is about the Salt saving resin that claims to use 1/3 less salt worth $200 up charge? Does this resin have the same life span as compared to the standard resin?

Thanks for your time

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
The Water Soft Inc softeners are excellent, but they are not as easy to find parts for as the 5600SXT.

1/3 less salt with super resin? Stay away from it.

Regular resin with a properly programmed and sized softener will do fine.

spete112

Reaction score
Thanks for your rely I will take your advise. I am very interested however as to what problems that you have had with the salt saver resin.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
No problems other than their efficiency is usually overstated, and the cost is hard to justify considering the savings. Also, some of these "super" resins are fine mesh, these can create problems with flow rates and longevity.

If you are going to upgrade the resin, use a 10% crosslink instead of their standard. Many companies use a very low crosslink resin to save a few dollars.

I would also stay away from distributors that only have a UPS box as their physical address. Buy from a company that has an address and stocks their own equipment and does service. These companies will cost a little more, but they are not simply trying to offer the lowest price.

spete112

Reaction score
Thanks again!!!! I will take your advise and go with that and stay with the normal resin. Buying a little extra salt in not a big deal to me.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks