(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: To Clean or Not to Clean sand out of well

DIY Senior Member VAWellDriller's Avatar

Sounds like a good idea....I'd love to hear how it turns out...ie...total depth, screened intervals, amount of gravel pack, static and pumping water levels... (if that's not too much to ask)! Good luck.

Be happy to VAWellDriller!

Hopefully, I will have good news .................... but whatever the outcome, it will cost me dearly. I sure hope things work out!

VAWellDriller had asked that I let everyone know how things turned out with the new well.

1- Our 35 year old 4" well was 138 feet deep with the pump ending up at 137 feet just a few weeks back (the pump hung at 132 feet for years). The well was beginning to run dry using it with our irrigation system - only 5.5 GPM with sand
    The new 4" well is 151 feet deep with pump set at 146 feet - getting 11 GPM with no sand or problems ....... they drilled until they hit rock.
    2- Old well had static water level of 117 feet. New well has the same.
    3- Old well had 40 feet of strainer and gravel packed. New well has the same. The used approximately two full 55 gallon drums of gravel for the new well.
    4- While running, water level on old well would drop to about 136 feet as long as I did NOT pump more thann 5.5 GPM. Of course, this was not always the case. In years past, the well would supply all the water we could use.
    While running, water level on new well drops to about 129 feet while pumping 10 GPM. As info: I did install a 10 GPM rated Dole Valve on the new well system.
    5- Obviously, the two wells are in the same aquifer. I am assuming that since the new well goes all the way to rock, the extra depth is what has helped. It's a shame the one drilled 35 years ago didn't go down the extra 13 feet. As info: the two wells are only 35 feet apart.
    6- While boring the well, there was no sign of water until they reached a depth of approximately 105 feet.

Thanks to all for your help

DIYer, not in the trades LLigetfa's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tvl View Post
    5- Obviously, the two wells are in the same aquifer. I am assuming that since the new well goes all the way to rock, the extra depth is what has helped. It's a shame the one drilled 35 years ago didn't go down the extra 13 feet. As info: the two wells are only 35 feet apart.
    The depth of the bedrock formation could very well vary by that much over 35 feet. My guess is the old well did go to bedrock. Glacial till will leave more gravel in low spots, less in high spots. Two wells drilled on the same property could conceivably have that much difference.

My mud well has only a 5 foot layer of sand/gravel above the bedrock. It has no screened casing, just an open bottom with some gravel tossed in.

VAWellDriller,

Just wondering if you ever saw that I responded to your request?

So far so good ....... the new water well is doing its job. I do think the extra depth is what was really needed. We have been in a drough for the past several years. But, I can't say that for this year. Since June, right here at our house, we have had 20.1 inches of rain. And, I'm not fussing!

Thanks to all!

DIY Senior Member VAWellDriller's Avatar

I saw....glad that it all worked out well for you.....and thanks for filling us in on the details. If you dont mind my asking, how much did you pay, and what was included?

No problem:

1- The total cost of the well was $3,050.00 - This cost included the permit, drilling (151 feet), gravel packing, development, grouting, casing & 40 feet of strainer.
    2- Since I had just recently purchased a new 1 HP F&W pump, I did not need one.
    3- They did install my pump and verified all was doing as expected. I furnished the required wire.
    Last edited by tvl; 07-23-2013 at 08:40 AM.

DIY Junior Member

Don't bet on it. Well drillers are notorious for Drilling a new hole. First they refuse to go down the old hole, saying they don't want to break a bit, Then when you have a new 150 feet they want to go further saying it would be better. The end results are usually in the tune of many several grand. Our well is 120 feet deep, we do not use a submersible but a jet pump, subs are fine for deep wells and I could never figure out why someone would put one on a shallow well. Sand settles in the bottom of the wells naturally and ours has had it coming out for the last 20 years that I am aware of. It will not kill you, it might settle in the bottom of your hot water heater, clog your sink faucet screen but you are not running out of water because it has sand in it. They certainly CAN drill through rock. If you want to spend money on your well, replace the sub with a jet and blow it out for 300$.

Fiber flinger.

LMAO @ fiber finger.....

There are several reasons for new wells
    1 you don't know what is the old one, like small small sledge hammer heads, pipe wrenches, broken bits, lost drill tools.....
    2 there may not be enough casing in the old one
    3 setting up and running in the tools only to find the hole is under size or crooked
    4 giving the customer the bill for any of the above and then telling him he needs a new well anyway

Yeah I can't understand why someone wouldn't want to have a noisy, inefficient jet pump either... those new fangled submersibles are such a pain in the butt to prime