(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: To Clean or Not to Clean sand out of well

Quote Originally Posted by VAWellDriller View Post
    If this is a mud rotary drilled, screened well in a sand formation (which I think it is).
    You are correct ............. sand well for sure!

Again, my thinking was that a 6 inch pipe/screen would have more "slots" around the circumference of the pipe versus a 4 inch pipe, thereby allowing more water to flow into the casing ........ which would provide more water to the pump? So, that is not a correct assumption? Shucks!

Well, are there any other reasons I might want to consider a 6 inch well before I make my final decision?

Thanks so much!

If the gravel pack is done correctly, you won't see much difference between 4" and 6" casing. However, if you ever have any problems down the road, you will have more options with the 6" casing.

However, if you ever have any problems down the road, you will have more options with the 6" casing

OK ......... I would love to know what those options might be. Would you please let me know. Thanks again!
    Last edited by tvl; 06-19-2013 at 05:26 AM.

You not as likely to get the pump stuck. If the pump gets hot and melts the casing, the 4” will grab the pump and you can’t get it out, and you will need to dig a new well. You have room to install a 4” liner should the 6” casing develop a hole or crack. We can get more equipment down the 6” hole like bailers, surge blocks, fishing tools, etc. And with 6” casing I can put a 4” shroud on the pump, which I think is very important for the longevity of the pump/motor.

Thanks a lot Valveman!

You mentioned: with 6” casing I can put a 4” shroud on the pump, which I think is very important for the longevity of the pump/motor. So, if I do go with the 6 inch well, it appears I need a shroud for my pump. The well digger did not mention anything about this. Where do you get this item? And how is it installed?

Quote Originally Posted by tvl View Post
    Thanks a lot Valveman!

You mentioned: with 6” casing I can put a 4” shroud on the pump, which I think is very important for the longevity of the pump/motor. So, if I do go with the 6 inch well, it appears I need a shroud for my pump. The well digger did not mention anything about this. Where do you get this item? And how is it installed?
    I just make them from a short piece of 4", 100#, sewer pipe. Cut three pie shape wedges out of the top. Use a 4.5" hose clamp around the wedges that are left to tighten it to the pump. Then tape over any cracks with good electrical tape. Here is a video of installing a shroud, it is just on a larger pump.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVBpCVqX7Jk

I hate the term "well digger"

Quote Originally Posted by craigpump View Post
    It is a lot better than some of the things I have been called.

I certainly don't want to offend anyone .................. what is the proper term for an individual who installs and maintains water wells???

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by tvl View Post
    I certainly don't want to offend anyone .................. what is the proper term for an individual who installs and maintains water wells???

Thanks!
    "Crazy", “Gluten for punishment”, “Always late for supper”

....divorced.

....divorced.
    “Divorced” Lol. “Hypertensive”, “Irritable”, “Stubborn”, “Cranky”

DIY Senior Member VAWellDriller's Avatar

As a driller and pump installer, I agree with all the benefits of a 6" well that valveman mentioned, however in your case if it's twice as much, I don't see the real advantage to you. You can't shrourd a 4" pump in a 4" well, and you can in a 6, but you only really need a shroud if when you have a top feeding well. You won't have a top feeding well, assuming you don't hire an idiot who puts the pump in the screen. On residential, we always install 4.5" casing, which gives you a nice little extra wiggle room for the pump. As far as your thoughts on water volume, that is more function of the type of formation, not the screen diameter.

Quote Originally Posted by VAWellDriller View Post
    As a driller and pump installer, I agree with all the benefits of a 6" well that valveman mentioned, however in your case if it's twice as much, I don't see the real advantage to you. You can't shrourd a 4" pump in a 4" well, and you can in a 6, but you only really need a shroud if when you have a top feeding well. You won't have a top feeding well, assuming you don't hire an idiot who puts the pump in the screen. On residential, we always install 4.5" casing, which gives you a nice little extra wiggle room for the pump. As far as your thoughts on water volume, that is more function of the type of formation, not the screen diameter.
    VA is closer to your area. Sounds like good advice to me.

After much consideration, I have decided on the 4 inch well for our irrigation system. The 6 inch well is just too much money and doesn't appear it can be justified.

As VA stated, this will be a bottom feeding well and is what my driller has also stated. He is going to do one additional item in an effort to get the most GPM he can. He anticipates going through one if not two SMALL "acquifers" before he gets back into the main acquifer that most folks around here are now using. When he goes to set his casing, he will add screen to the sections where he has found water ......... no matter how small the stream. This will allow additional water into the casing. Naturally, he will have to gravel pack more this way, but he seems to feel this will be good for me in the end.

Thanks for everyone's help!