(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Need advice fixing the unfinished.

Default Need advice fixing the unfinished.

I paid a plumber to do some work while I was away. I need to fix and finish the kitchen sink and island sink plumbing. The main sink is an apron sink stainless 9" deep with a single drain and sits under a large window. The drain coming up in the floor is just capped, not vented(told to use studdor valve) and is to close for and disposal. The island is the same with just a drain coming out of floor with no venting vavle or loop. please help.

Default drains

I hope you did not pay him too much to do a job like that. We would have to be there to see what the options are to make it fit.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

Name:  IMG_20130609_113852.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  40.1 KBName:  IMG_20130609_113214.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  41.8 KB

Yeah I got robbed. Here are pics of the inside and crawlspace. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Name:  IMG_20130609_113413.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  59.3 KB
    Here is the island plumbing.

and he used PEX.... COPPER, COPPER, COPPER! I don't know if your area's plumbing code allows studor vents but i'm sure you could make it work if you have no other option. if you really want to DIY, Home Depot has some push-on angle stop valves made by SharkBite that you can just slip on the PEX water piping. If you have some extra cash, I would call a better plumber to come evaluate the other guy's work. Maybe you can back-charge the first guy for his mistakes. good luck.

Default Yeah, right

quote; Maybe you can back-charge the first guy for his mistakes And HOW would he collect, unless he has not already paid the guy? Even a "judgement" in small claims court does NOT give you the money, it just allows yo to legally collect it, but does not tell you HOW to do it.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

What makes you think he made a mistake? better than half the plumbers in the country probably would have done the same thing.
    Pex is the material of choice now for most plumbers and as it's an outside wall you can't fault him for bringing those through the floor and there may well be a reason why he didn't put the drain in the wall either, like maybe he can't go up there. Put a san-tee with an AAV on it and proceed as normal.

How many posts here from DIY'ers that have only wanted to pay a plumber to do half the job and then been confused by what the plumber left for them or badmouthed the plumber that did the work? What is there is a no brainer for a professional plumber and requires no back stabbing or second guessing whatsoever. If I sent any of my guys to finish up there, they would be out of there in an hour or two and it would meet code as well.
    Last edited by Tom Sawyer; 06-14-2013 at 09:15 AM.
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Like Tom said.
    A good Studor Vent and shutoffs for the PEX and you up and running.

Not being on site, anything else is just a guess.

Thanks guys and Terry for the info. Putting the san-tee on with the AAV sounds like an easier and quicker solution. I called in another plumber to take a look at actually venting it through the roof. There is open attic space above and open framing. They were suppose to be here last week but said they needed to work up a price. The plumber came out to evaluate and said around 2 hours. They came back with about $650.00 for 3 hours labor and parts. They charge about 150 an hour but I still don't see 200 bucks in parts. It could totally be a good quote for the cleanouts and venting through the roof but a bit more then I was hoping for so a trip to Lowe's or HD is in my future.

So there is access to the roof above and you would rather slap an AAV on it rather than install something that will never require maintenance? At $ 150.00 per hr. your plumber is working cheap. I'd be at $ 235.00
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]

Yes there is access to the roof above. I actually want it vented so it is done properly without requiring further maintenance. Can you please advise me on the best way to accomplish this given the current setup. I went to HD and got the items Tom suggested to use the AAV but that was my second option.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It's just a matter of picking up a roof flashing, and putting the holes in the right location to drop a pipe through.
    It's not a lot in parts. In fact, a good AAV runs about $30.00, and that buys a lot of 1.5" ABS pipe.