Galvanized nipple through wood

Users who are viewing this thread

RandyLahey

Reaction score
Hi all, it would be great if you could shed some light on my problem.

I've got a well for irrigation use only, and I have a small but heavily built wood cabin that I want to position right next to the wellhead to put a sediment filter inside (as a start...maybe eventually a booster pump for the uphill gravity tank).

It would be convenient if I could just run a longer galvanized nipple right into the shed through a drilled hole, but I want to insulate the building eventually. What is the right way to make a sealed transition through wood siding?

I've seen PVC and insulation used as a sleeve through foundations for hose bibbs, but no idea as to what is correct for a wood-walled structure.

Thanks a bunch

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

IF the filter is going to have a plastic head, don't use galvanized because when it corrodes it will expand and crack the filter. Use copper or brass instead. Whatever you use, just drill the hole, insert the piping, then caulk the space around the pipe,

RandyLahey

Reaction score
Ok, if all I need to do is caulk around it no problem. Thanks. What type of caulking is the best to use?

I was going to transition to PEX inside the cabin, maybe terminate the galvanized nipple in a union and use a male adapter to PEX. I've got a PEX cinch tool and clamps, I was thinking I'd thread a male PEX adapter into the galvanized union. But do I need to steer clear of the brass PEX fittings adapting from galvanized and use the poly PEX fittings instead?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks