Garbage disposal install

Users who are viewing this thread

Mar3232

Reaction score
Let me guess, you should probably put thread lock on those 3 bolts that tighten the mounting clamp on a disposal. ? I'm not a plumber and installed the disposal about 2 months ago -- thought it sounded noisy and looked down there to see that a couple of these bolts had backed out.

Of course no where in the instructions did it mention putting a thread lock compound on them.

Mar3232

Reaction score
Terry, thanks -- I should probably remount it then. I have a feeling I used way too much putty. I think because I don't use it all the time, I think the more the merrier because I honestly can't believe it works compared to something like silicone etc. (which I know you shouldn't use).

It's not leaking though -- if you think I just tightened it up and did the thread lock I'd be ok? thnaks

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
disposer

We can't tell why it came loose, but I have never used "LockTite" on the bolts, nor have I ever seen it done. Install the disposer correctly and it will not come loose.

Mar3232

Reaction score
I know Terry hit it on the head -- too much putty -- hence, probably making it slide around too much. It was done right, but just that -- too much goo.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Not to nit pick, but perhaps not done right if too much putty (or maybe more to the point, didn't snug up the 3 bolts adequately at the time of install since that would have forced out the excess putty anyway).

Not a pro, but have have never used thread lock and have never seen the bolts come loose despite all the vibration a disposer creates.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Good to know, Terry. I didn't realize that was possible. I have always erred on the side of using a pretty thick rope of putty, figuring out the excess would get squeezed out (and recycled back into the container).

Still seems to me that if the flange is angled at all, it wouldn't be possible for excess putty to hang out under the flange?

MichaelBukay

Plumber
Reaction score
When there is too much putty, it can show up later, just the way it was mentioned above. We've all done it at least once.
I have installed hundreds of disposals. I only had one install where the collar came loose. I agree, probably too much putty. I think thread lock is a bad idea overall for that application.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks