Which plumbing tool do I use to unclog a outside drain

Users who are viewing this thread

dogwalker

Reaction score
From a do it your-selfer I have a clog in my outside drain(I believe) just shy of the main Sewer.I've heard good things about HYDRA JET CLEANING vs a ROOT AUGER(clog could be tree roots or 25 yrs of crap) One of my challenges is that the outside drain cleanout in my backyard is 2.5 ft from the house,little room on both sides cause of ac compressor and gas meter.I have 31 ft from that pipe to my fence,so I have room between the draincleanout and my backyard fence..The drain cleanout is a t connection,toward the house and downstream to the sewer.The outside drain pipecleanout is roughly 2.5 ft down to the connection,pipe diameter is 4 inches.Do you think The Hydra Jet suits me better or the Auger?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Most of the pros on this forum recommend you seek a professional plumber for these kind of jobs. There opinion is based on the fact that equipment small enough for a novice to handle will not do the job, and the heavy duty professional equipment is seldom available for rent and even if you could get something that large, this equipment is extremely dangerous in the hands of a novice. You not only run the risk of damaging the equipment, the powerful equipment can easily take one's hand or arm off. I suggest that you consider the risks against the cost of a professional plumber for this job.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
sewer

In order to remove roots with a hydrojet unit, you need a lot more pressure than any unit you could rent or afford to buy. They are normally used to remove grease buildups, but that is unlikely to be your problem once the pipe exits the house.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks