Apprenticeship interview with Union in Dallas for the 2nd time question?

Users who are viewing this thread

Chrismaddox3d

Reaction score
I interviewed with the Plumbers Union of Dallas last summer and did not get accepted into there school.
So i was put as provisionary plumber and they never found me work and told i could re interview again later.
Well in a few weeks this month in June i will get my 2nd chance.
How could i sell my self better this time around since i have no experience in plumbing.
Should i mention the i have been waiting since last summer and very dedicated to the Union?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
interview

quote; Should i mention the i have been waiting since last summer and very dedicated to the Union? That and $5.00 will get you a Starbucks latte. They know how long you have waited, and they also know their are guys who have waited longer than that. How can you be "dedicated to the union", when you haven't even been accepted into it? Just go in and answer their questions. They have been into the process ling enough that they will recognize pandering when they hear it.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Sorry but true,

If it is a Good Union then you will never get in. Unless you know someone, That has worked for me.

There are to many out of work and a Union should pick members first.

Getting your foot in the door can be hard, But don't give up.

Getting into a government job for a apprenticeship may be better.

Good Luck.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
union

If it is a "bad union" it may be because it has ruined the "job market", in which case it doesn't have enough protected work to keep all the members employed and so they would not have a place for you anyway. Actually, the "union" does not hire you. They place you with a company which is looking for an apprentice they can train, so if there is not a lot of work in your area, there will not be a demand for apprentices, therefore the union will not be able to place you.

Chrismaddox3d

Reaction score
Thanks to both you for your honest answers.
It is what i was looking for and i will just go in like you mentioned and answer the questions is all and interview normal.
Getting accepted into the school run by the union will mean a lot to me as well.
Least i could get some training in the union school i was told.
The government has plumber apprenticeship type jobs.....if they do where would i look at?
I have been using Craigslist and varies other places to apply for any helper type jobs i come across and some required no experience and i never heard back from them.

Last edited:

DonL

Reaction score
Do you have a college degree ?

The gov will call it a Internship, as will many private companies.

You should not have a problem getting into a Job in Dallas.

Start with a good company as a Plumbers helper, Then move up according to your work ability.

This Plumbers Helper started on her knees and is on the Top today.

Love Helper.jpg

Good Luck, Never give up.

Chrismaddox3d

Reaction score
I have around 40 credit hours in College for a AAS in animation i never finished and would that work?
Strange enough today i had a company called Skilled Trade Services looking for helpers or apprentices and asked me if i need work.
Even though i told them i have an apprentice card with no experience,they said would forward my resume on to be reviewed for a helper position and would call me back no later than Monday to let me know yes or no.
They mentioned it was for new construction coming up and need 6 guys in the area fast to start.
One last thing should i ask how long till they get the results will take at the Union interview. Also do you guys know what the Union or any company is looking for with a new guy with no experience?
Thanks for answer all my questions it is really helping me out.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
union

quote; One last thing should i ask how long till they get the results will take at the Union interview. The union has absolutely no idea, because it will depend on when a company calls them and asks for an apprentice.

Chrismaddox3d

Reaction score
So pretty much i just go and interview with the Union normally and answer the questions and hope i get lucky.
Well out of no where late yesterday afternoon i had a company that text me on cellphone and said they found me on careerbuilder and i have an interview today.
Hope i get a break.
Seems there is a lot of these out sourcing management companies for construction claim they will find you work but never do here in Dallas.
I have even done orientation for them type of companies with no results so far.

Chrismaddox3d

Reaction score
Well the place today i went to just got me to fill out an application and told me they would call me if anything came up.
That is pretty much ever sourcing management companies for construction i go to in town.
My wife who is a manager at a top 5 accounting firm thinks maybe i messed up with the interviewing skills and i said stuff that related to me personal life and not the job related things they wanted to hear.
So since i can nearly remember all what they asked me last time she told me i said some wrong things and i am working on it before the Union interview in 2 weeks.
We know the questions can vary but still good to work on things they may ask like what is your weakness and strength and etc.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
interview

Well, since you do NOT have any job experience, i am not sure how you would give "job related skills" answers. Just answer their questions without going overboard on details.

DonL

Reaction score
Keep trying

Well the place today i went to just got me to fill out an application and told me they would call me if anything came up.
That is pretty much ever sourcing management companies for construction i go to in town.
My wife who is a manager at a top 5 accounting firm thinks maybe i messed up with the interviewing skills and i said stuff that related to me personal life and not the job related things they wanted to hear.
So since i can nearly remember all what they asked me last time she told me i said some wrong things and i am working on it before the Union interview in 2 weeks.
We know the questions can vary but still good to work on things they may ask like what is your weakness and strength and etc.

You may have done just fine.

Maybe you need to take your wife to the next interview to help you, If she knows all of the correct answers.

Many companies do not like unions.

Why do you insist on getting a union job ?

Answer questions about the company, because most want to hear that they are the best.

Never Give up.

Good Luck.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
interview

quote; Many companies do not like unions. You have it wrong. If he is applying at the union, the only companies who will contact him ARE those who "like" unions. IF he applies at a company that does not like unions, he may NEVER get a job through the union, because, in most cases, the union prohibits going directly to a company for a job and will "blacklist" anyone who does.

Last edited:

Chrismaddox3d

Reaction score
Why don't many companies like the union?
I don't insist on a union job but the schooling and good training i heard was really good.
I have applied to smaller shops and etc and sourcing management companies for construction like yesterday and nothing after 1yr nearly.
No need to take my wife lol she just gave me a suggestion and i am working on what to say and not to say at this upcoming interview.
How did you guys get started in Plumbing and was it hard to break in? Thanks

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
usually they do not want to become signatory to the union because it can be expensive, and they give up a fair amount of autonomy as far as what the can, and cannot do, with the workers. Take you wife with you and you will be put into the same file as those who bring their mothers and fathers to the negotiations, and are forgotten about. My union schooling was the best, but I cannot vouch for all union trade schools. Mine was one day a week and, it was a "paid" day, for 3 years. I skipped the first year and started as a second year apprentice. The fifth year was supposed to be a preparation for journeyman status, but I had been doing that since I started.

Chrismaddox3d

Reaction score
Yep they told us in the orientation meeting that there union school in Dallas is 2 nights a week 5pm to 9pm from Aug to May.
I would never bring anyone to fight my battles or negotiate i can do that on my own i am a grown man.
No matter i will never give up and just keep going and sooner or later i will get what i want.
Thanks for you guys responses.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
school

That probably means it is on "your own time". In my case it was one day a week 8;00 a.m. to 4:30, same as any other work day and I was paid the same as if i were working in the field.

MichaelBukay

Plumber
Reaction score
just find some plumbing contractor looking for help on craigslist. get some experience while you are waiting for all this union BS. get your hands dirty, learn some basic stuff and have some better answers for the next union job interview. unless you have a better job now.

Chrismaddox3d

Reaction score
Yep i have been getting on craigslist ever day for the last year looking for any kind of helpers job and even got the phone book out and called small shops and larger one.
Every one wants a helper with experience they keep telling me or they never reply back.
I feel like Union is my only chance of breaking into plumbing.
Guess all i can do is keep trying and hope something works out,Thanks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks