Hose Bibb leaking from handle

Users who are viewing this thread

Nelsonba

Reaction score
My frost proof faucet is leaking from the handle when turned on. I took off the packing nut and tried to find a replacement packing washer, but couldn't find a match. I tried packing it with teflon packing string, but it still leaks. Any suggestions? I don't have an easy way to replace the whole thing, since I don't have access to it from inside the house.

Thanks

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A picture would help. There are quite a few brands.
Many times, we find a way to access the wall behind and replace the valve. You may be able to fix yours, and maybe not.

Nelsonba

Reaction score
Here are a couple pictures... IMG_2356.jpgIMG_2359.jpg

Nelsonba

Reaction score
It had a flat rubber washer in it, but I couldn't find the right size to replace it, so I tried the teflon packing. Didn't work. Is my only hope to find the right size washer?

Mushmush

Reaction score
Garden hose leaks when turned on

Hi, i have a similar problem, with my garden hose bibb.I tried to replace the washer on the bibb but I could not remove it in the first place. I am a DIY person, but I am very new to plumbing. I am not sure how to proceed with it. Any suggestion?

I have attached the pictures of the tap, before and after the tap is turned on.image.jpgimage.jpg

gcronau

Reaction score
Hi, I can't speak to the packing on that spigot, but I wanted to mention that you're using those quick disconnects backwards. The female end, the part that has the sliding collar, should be put on the spigot and on the far ends of any hoses. The male end, the grey part shown in the photo, should be put on the near end of hoses and any attachments, like sprayers, sprinklers, fertilizer sprayers, nozzles, etc. The female end, the part with the sliding collar, has an automatic shutoff valve inside of it. The idea with using the quick disconnects is that you can uncouple an attachment or a hose segment, without having to go back and turn off the main valve at the spigot. In fact, if you have good washers in everything, and good quality hoses and QD's, you could turn on the spigot at the wall and just leave it on all summer. Water hose QD fittings should be used in the same way that air hose QD fittings are used, if you're familiar with those.

BTW, I know *that* particular male QD fitting won't go on the near end of a hose, but that's a reverse QD fitting for oddball situations. The common setup is that the female QD fitting also has the female hose threads, and male QD fitting has the male hose threads.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks