Pump is dying

Users who are viewing this thread

TVL

Reaction score
Another Difficult Decision

I just got off the phone with a local well driller. He states that based on what I have told him and the fact my neighbors are not experiencing any issues, the well might possible be resurrected by a thorough cleaning. This doesn't come cheap ............ about $1500. But, if it does work, then I will be very pleased and consider it $1500 well spent.

On the other-hand if it doesn't, I will be out of $1500 ...... PLUS I will still need to put in a new well for which the $1500 can NOT be applied.

Any suggestions from you expert well drillers? Is this a good gamble or is it a LONG shot at best?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
LLigetfa: If I were to close the ball valve even further, that would also increase the water pressure ............. which is why I adjusted the pressure switch earlier.

I assumed you had a ballvalve between the pump and the pressure switch/tank. That is where a dole valve would go. It would not increase the pressure on your sprinklers, only on the line from the pump to the tank.

Ask the driller how he plans to remediate the well and ask what a new well would cost to drill. Even a new well comes with no guarantee and if the formation is just fine sand with little or no coarse, the sand could still be a problem.

In these parts, it runs about $50 per foot.

TVL

Reaction score
I'd like to ask the following question once again and see if I can get any additional responses:

I just got off the phone with a local well driller. He states that based on what I have told him and the fact my neighbors are not experiencing any issues, the well might possible be resurrected by a thorough cleaning. This doesn't come cheap ............ about $1500. But, if it does work, then I will be very pleased and consider it $1500 well spent.

On the other-hand if it doesn't, I will be out of $1500 ...... PLUS I will still need to put in a new well for which the $1500 can NOT be applied.

Any suggestions from you expert well drillers? Is this a good gamble or is it a LONG shot at best?

My gut feeling is the well probably isn't drying up, but is being "starved" because the 4 inch casing/screen has become clogged. With all of the sand I am seeing, it certainly can't be helping the situation!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks