assembling ABS pipes

Users who are viewing this thread

filipi

Reaction score
Hello everyone

I was assembling and gluing ABS pipes and fittings together, and one of the pipe didn't bottom out in the fitting , may be by 1/4". I guess I didn't push hard enough and it dried before I could do anything about it.
Is that still acceptable if not leaking or shall I cut that section and redo it ?

Thanks.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
This obviously for a drain line. Drains are never under pressure, so I think your OK. Just a tip that maybe you haven't picked up on. When connecting ABS or PVC just apply the solvent to one joint at a time. A good swab around the inside of the fitting and a good swipe around the outside of the pipe end. Then insert the pipe into the fitting with a twisting motion as well as pushing. Then hold the joint together for a few seconds so the pipe won't push away from the bottom of the fitting. All that said, I'd bet there are lots of joints that are working just fine that did not get all of the above done to them.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
For myself, that could depend upon where it is. The chance of it ever coming apart is pretty slim, but drain hubs (fittings) tend to be short and I would likely fix it if it were inside my house and being stressed in any way that might try to pull it apart.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
joint

If there were any problem with your joint, it would be the gap in the flow line, but a 1/4" is not enough to worry about. The joint is not going to come apart because of that small gap. In fact, the gap could be 1" and it would still not come apart.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks