Have autotrol 440I timer control not working

Users who are viewing this thread

rob742

Reaction score
Hi I have a Autotrol 440I Timer control for Model AF 263-2D acid neutralozer.
The regeneration cycle is not strarting on the programed time. I set the correct Time but when I check the time again it is always way off. How hard is it to replace the timer? Or could it just be the motor?
Whay do I have to do to remove the whole 440I assembly?

Thanks Rob

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
The timer is very easy to remove. Simply remove the "flag" on the lower left side of the timer and pull up. It could be a gear broken or the motor. You can remove the motor and see if it's turning. If it is, the timer cover can be removed to check the gearing. Softenerparts has different replacement gears.

rob742

Reaction score
Do I need to put the tank in bypass first and release any pressure in the valve assy before I remove the Timer ?

rob742

Reaction score
Also do you know what the odds are that it is the motor. Or from experience do the gears break more often?

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes it is best to put the unit on bypass. The gears are a weak point on the Autotrol valve so it may be more likely a gear is broken. Both are very easy to see so you can check them before ordering parts.

Reach4

Reaction score
The Autotrol 440I is the control. It is paired with the 155 valve typically.

If this timer fails, you can get a replacement, or repair. You can also move the valve to the different positions manually, by pushing in the knob, and rotating. Then at each position, you wait. I am not sure if there is any position other than backwash and in-service. If that knob is hard to turn, you can remove the cover and turn the big plastic cam rather than trying to apply the torque to the little knob. You still need to push the knob, but once that is pushed, you can rotate the cam. I don't know if this manual zero dollar regen is worthwhile for you.

I used to have a softener with a predecessor to that valve. I got a used replacement timer, and then that later failed. https://www.softenerparts.com/440-o...es-controlled-by-the-Camshaft-used_c_409.html

There may be a 3-valve bypass separate from the softener valve. I don't know that bypass will help much.

Do you also have a softener? Do you measure your pH? The cheap yellow electronic pH meters can be useful.

The calcite adds hardness as it raises pH. It is also possible to use a system that meters in a liquid that does not add hardness.

goldbergsfg

Reaction score
The Autotrol 440I is the control. It is paired with the 155 valve typically.

If this timer fails, you can get a replacement, or repair. You can also move the valve to the different positions manually, by pushing in the knob, and rotating. Then at each position, you wait. I am not sure if there is any position other than backwash and in-service. If that knob is hard to turn, you can remove the cover and turn the big plastic cam rather than trying to apply the torque to the little knob. You still need to push the knob, but once that is pushed, you can rotate the cam. I don't know if this manual zero dollar regen is worthwhile for you.

I used to have a softener with a predecessor to that valve. I got a used replacement timer, and then that later failed. https://www.softenerparts.com/440-o...es-controlled-by-the-Camshaft-used_c_409.html

There may be a 3-valve bypass separate from the softener valve. I don't know that bypass will help much.

Do you also have a softener? Do you measure your pH? The cheap yellow electronic pH meters can be useful.

The calcite adds hardness as it raises pH. It is also possible to use a system that meters in a liquid that does not add hardness.
I already replaced the skipper arm gear since it lost a tooth.. That was easy
It looks like the gear that drives the skipper arm (Gear - # 7 Black 420A43 - 1031554) on my control is stripped. . I've ordered a replacement part.
To replace this gear can I remove the gray cover from the control without removing the whole box from the system. It looks possible by pushing up on the bottom snaps.
I want to make sure I am not going to destroy the whole unit by doing this.

THANKS

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks