Toilet Repair with no Shut Off valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Super_19

Reaction score
There is no shut off valve on the water supply line that connects to the tank on my toilet. I just see the pipe coming from the wall and the water supply line connects to the tank.

The fill valve inside the tank needs to be replaced but I'm not sure how to go about replacing it since I cannot shut off the water supply to the toilet.

The sink in the bathroom and in the kitchen both have shutoff valves. The toilet is the only one that doesn't.

It's an older building, so I'm guessing this has something to do with why there's no shut off valve to the toilet.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I doubt if age has anything to do it, more likely a hack handyman or a ignorant homeowner. There's little question that you should have a shut off valve on the toilet supply. This is really rocket science, just get the materials needed, and shut the water off. There should be one where the house supply line enters the house, but again, you never know for sure. You may have to go to the street. The easiest valve to connect the the supply line is a compression valve. The pipe does have to be in good condition, no kinks or dents. The most popular valve now days is a quarter turn type.

Super_19

Reaction score
I doubt if age has anything to do it, more likely a hack handyman or a ignorant homeowner. There's little question that you should have a shut off valve on the toilet supply. This is really rocket science, just get the materials needed, and shut the water off. There should be one where the house supply line enters the house, but again, you never know for sure. You may have to go to the street. The easiest valve to connect the the supply line is a compression valve. The pipe does have to be in good condition, no kinks or dents. The most popular valve now days is a quarter turn type.

Thanks for your reply. I neglected to mention that I am a tenant but will become the super of the property in about a month when the current super retires. There are 36 apts in all in 5 buildings total. Anyhow, this will be one of my first jobs when I take over the property, but wanted to get some info/help before that time came.

I found it to be very odd that there is no shut off valve at the toilet. Like I mentioned in my original post, I thought it was because of the building being old. Could the other apts be the same way? If so, would the water to the entire building have to be shut off at the main in order to repair a toilet in one apt?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Keep your fingers crossed that the rest of the units have shutoff valves, but if they don't, you will have to shut off the entire building. My worry would be that one of the supply lines to a toilet could break.

Super_19

Reaction score
Yes, that is my worry too. I am supposed to get together with the current super, whom I've become to know pretty good throughout the years, and go over some things. I will be sure to ask him about the no shut off valve on the toilet line. Hopefully he tells me that it's only in my apt.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Sounds like one of your first recommendations may be that you install 36 shutoff valves. Each one is a quick job with a compression fitting, 1/4-turn valve if you have enough pipe coming out the wall.

Super_19

Reaction score
Sounds like one of your first recommendations may be that you install 36 shutoff valves. Each one is a quick job with a compression fitting, 1/4-turn valve if you have enough pipe coming out the wall.

Thanks for the recommendation. Will look into that.

Super_19

Reaction score
I know it's been a while but just wanted to post an update. I am officially the new super. I found out that the shutoff valves for the toilet, sink, and tub are hidden behind a panel in the wall of the bedroom closet of the apts. why this setup? I have no clue. I somewhat feel more at ease knowing this though. Would prefer the shutoff valves be at the line coming into the bathroom, but this is not the case.

I was able to replace the fill valve in my toilet. Was a bit surprised at how quickly I was able to do it.

Some of you may think, "how can this guy be the super, seems not too knowledgeable." This is somewhat true, but I am learning. The property owner took a chance on me and I plan to not let him down. I'm just required to do basic maintenance. Any big jobs I would be required to contact the plumbers. I do have to say though that plumbing work to me is sort of intimidating.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Glad it all worked out, and that the property is designed better than it seemed at first. Maybe the thought was that they didn't want the tenants messing with the plumbing, and it's less-tempting to do so if you can't turn the water off. OTOH, if the tenant has a problem and doesn't know how to turn off the water, it can turn into a Bad Day pretty fast.

Glad you were able to swap out your fill valve -- kinda fun, right? Toilet repair and replacement is a skill set that I took the time to learn how to do (at a basic level), and I'm very happy I did. I find the projects enjoyable and even a little therapeutic given what my real job is, and it caused me to branch out to fixing other simple things around the house that I previously might have paid someone else to do.

Super_19

Reaction score
Glad it all worked out, and that the property is designed better than it seemed at first. Maybe the thought was that they didn't want the tenants messing with the plumbing, and it's less-tempting to do so if you can't turn the water off. OTOH, if the tenant has a problem and doesn't know how to turn off the water, it can turn into a Bad Day pretty fast.

Glad you were able to swap out your fill valve -- kinda fun, right? Toilet repair and replacement is a skill set that I took the time to learn how to do (at a basic level), and I'm very happy I did. I find the projects enjoyable and even a little therapeutic given what my real job is, and it caused me to branch out to fixing other simple things around the house that I previously might have paid someone else to do.

Definitely want to continue learning and doing as many projects as I can. Its comforting though that I can always call the plumbers if a job is out of my reach.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks