Shower head dripping when tub spout is on

Users who are viewing this thread

Super_19

Reaction score
I'm a newbie to this site and a complete newbie to plumbing. I want to learn how to fix things on my own. The shower head in my bathroom drips continuously when the water is diverted to the tub spout. Also, when the water is diverted to the shower head, water also drips from the tub spout.

It's an older setup. There is three handles; left for hot, middle to divert water to shower or tub spout, and right for cold. Also, water drips from the right (cold) handle when it is on.

What are the defectie parts here? How difficult is it to fix this myself?

Thank you.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If it's a Price Phister three handle, it's missing the floating washer on the diverter.
Also, you may need to snug up the bonnet nuts on the stems.

Super_19

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply.

I'm assuming that by price phister you are referring to the brand. As far as if it is, I have no clue. I just know that it's three handles like I mentioned in my original post.

How can I go about doing what you said? Any guide or steps I can follow.

Thanks again.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You may need to start posting pictures. What you are asking is very generic. Sort of like my car ran out of gas, what size tires does it have?

Super_19

Reaction score
Just an update: plumbers came today to repair a leaking/damaged tub drainage in one of the Apts in the second floor. The leak created a huge mess in the ceiling of the apt right below. Anyhow, explained the issue I am having to the plumber and he stated he can convert the current setup I have (3 handle system) to a single handle with a tub spout that has a diverter built in. He mentioned the current setup is old and is very prone to the issue I am having.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A new one would also provide the federally mandated anti-scald features, required if you make changes (not just repairs). Most manufacturers make diverter spouts...the one I like that works well is made by Delta, and as opposed to those that have a knob on the top you pull up, it has a ring around the outlet you pull down. Comes in various styles, finishes, all metal or metal and plastic.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks