cast iron

Users who are viewing this thread

woe

Reaction score
I recently started a remodel of bathroom upstairs. Toilet always sounded like it was sucking air and the tub drained slowly. Thought maybe vent wasn't connected. Opened wall and floor everything connected and vent is clear to basement. also when removed toilet have cast iron drains there was no flange, there was a wax ring but no flange. appreciate any help thank you

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
The vent goes up, not to the basement. If the vents are galv. steel I cant tell you how many I have worked on that plug with rust and debris over the years. If the drains are galv. steel they are likely plugged so the id. is about as round as your little finger.

Replace all the galv. pipe with plastic and be sure to check where the drain runs into the stack that it is open also as they clog there just as bad as the pipe.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
vent

A bad vent, by itself, would not make a tub drain slowly. In fact it would normally drain better if it were on the second floor. And flushing the toilet would make the tub sound like it was sucking air, not the toilet. The toilet always sucks air when it flushes.

woe

Reaction score
I went to the roof and dropped a flash light on a length of rope down the vent and it went down to the basement. What about the toilet no flange for a cast iron drain.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
If cast iron is flush with the floor then you should lead a new cast iron flange on that stub.
That makes a better job .

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks