Lengthen 14" Unifit adapter?

Users who are viewing this thread

wlpitcher

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to lengthen the Unifit adapter from 14" to say 16"?

I've got a 15 1/2" rough-in and only 20†from the front of the existing toilet to the shower door. The existing toilet front is 28 1/2" from the rear wall tile. I don’t want to be any closer to the shower with the new toilet, a little more clearance would help. Thinking of a Vespin ii with the 14" Unifit modified.

Thanks

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
This was a thread for discussion awhile back. I didn't follow the discussion too much, so I don't know how it ended. I do remember there was concern the the pipe size on the Unifit might not be a standard ABS size, and I remember there was concern about the functionality of a modification. Might want to do a search through this section of the forum and find that thread. But, I think you'd have the best fit possible with the Vespin and 14" Unifit even if you can't modify it.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I looked through the threads, but was unable to find the one about altering the Unifit. Guess you could try, it would cost you $40 for a 14" Unifit and if it couldn't be altered, sorry Charlie, you lost $40. Before I cut, I measure the Unifit pipe very carefully to see if the diameter of the Unifit pipe matched standard pipe fittings. I really have my doubts about this working, but that's not based on any real facts.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
I wonder if it would not be worth it to Toto to make a "PerfectFit" adapter which universally adjusts from minimum 10" to a maximum that the skirted area can take, which I believe is 16 inches.

That would be a truly unique product.

Perhaps it could be designed similar to the Korky flush valve with the universally-adjustable height. You just twist it to unlock, stretch it to where you want, and tighten. Toto could mark 10, 12, and 14 on the thing, but also let people set it just like they want it.

They did this, to great effect, with the TSU99A.X replacement fill valve -- i.e. have one universal product for all toilets. Why not have an adjustable Unifit? It would eliminate having to buy one separately, eliminate all the waste caused by all the 12" ones that are thrown away when someone buys a 10 or 14, and let plumbers just carry ONE on their truck.

Toto goes out of its way to be environmentally-friendly -- I mean to almost-crazy lengths (like employees can bring anything at all from home to the office and Toto will recycle it, like crushing all the Atlanta Airport porcelain they replaced and delivering it to a factory that used it in road asphalt, like recapturing the kiln heat for use elsewhere). So it makes no sense for them to have a setup where they force thousands upon thousands of 12" plastic adapters to be tossed in the garbage every year. (Nobody wants them -- Terry said in one post that he has far more than he would ever need.)

And if they don't do this, the least they could do is what HP does with its printer cartridge boxes. You buy a 14" unifit, the box it comes in doubles as a postpaid return box to Toto for the 12" UniFit that you aren't going to use, so they can recycle it.

Last edited:

StupidFlanders

Reaction score
I looked through the threads, but was unable to find the one about altering the Unifit. Guess you could try, it would cost you $40 for a 14" Unifit and if it couldn't be altered, sorry Charlie, you lost $40. Before I cut, I measure the Unifit pipe very carefully to see if the diameter of the Unifit pipe matched standard pipe fittings. I really have my doubts about this working, but that's not based on any real facts.

I know this thread is ancient in internet years, but I am having the exact same issues. I was wondering whether the unifit could be extended. Did you try it?

Reach4

Reaction score
I used a Unifit for a rough-in that was about an inch longer than the design size.
index.php

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks