Removing Delta tub spout

Users who are viewing this thread

SWB

Reaction score
I'm trying to remove a Delta tub spout. I got the spout itself off with no problem, but it turns out the spout screws onto some sort of large-diameter brass adapter, which is still on the copper pipe. It looks like it may be soldered on. I've tried pulling and twisting on it (but not too hard for fear of breaking something inside the wall), and I've tried heating it up with a propane torch to try to melt the solder and pull it off. No luck so far.

I'm replacing the Delta spout with a Moen that attaches directly to the copper pipe, so I need to get this adapter thingie off first.

Is is possible to remove these things? Later, I'll be replacing the Delta valve with a new Moentrol unit, so I'll eventually need to get into the wall. Is my best (or only) bet to just cut off the pipe inside the wall and solder on a new one?

Thanks!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
adapter

That adapter can be screwed, or soldered, on. If it is soldered then heating it will release it. But you should be able to tell which method was used by looking between the adapter and the wall. Personally, I prefer the Delta diverter. It make replacement much easier.

SWB

Reaction score
Cass said:
Can you post a photo of it?
Sure! Here you go:

hj said:
heating it will release it. ... I prefer the Delta diverter.
Thanks, I'll try the torch some more. Maybe MAPP would work better?

Unfortunately, Delta isn't really an option at this point. Moen happened to have the vanity faucets we liked (Kingsley 6102 Antique Nickel), and we're replacing everything else in the bathroom to match (it's a full bath remodel). We already have all the pieces, too; just need to install them.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks