(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Removing Delta tub spout

Default Removing Delta tub spout

I'm trying to remove a Delta tub spout. I got the spout itself off with no problem, but it turns out the spout screws onto some sort of large-diameter brass adapter, which is still on the copper pipe. It looks like it may be soldered on. I've tried pulling and twisting on it (but not too hard for fear of breaking something inside the wall), and I've tried heating it up with a propane torch to try to melt the solder and pull it off. No luck so far.

I'm replacing the Delta spout with a Moen that attaches directly to the copper pipe, so I need to get this adapter thingie off first.

Is is possible to remove these things? Later, I'll be replacing the Delta valve with a new Moentrol unit, so I'll eventually need to get into the wall. Is my best (or only) bet to just cut off the pipe inside the wall and solder on a new one?

Thanks!

Can you post a photo of it?

Default adapter

That adapter can be screwed, or soldered, on. If it is soldered then heating it will release it. But you should be able to tell which method was used by looking between the adapter and the wall. Personally, I prefer the Delta diverter. It make replacement much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Cass
    Can you post a photo of it?
    Sure! Here you go:

Quote Originally Posted by hj
    heating it will release it. ... I prefer the Delta diverter.
    Thanks, I'll try the torch some more. Maybe MAPP would work better?

Unfortunately, Delta isn't really an option at this point. Moen happened to have the vanity faucets we liked (Kingsley 6102 Antique Nickel), and we're replacing everything else in the bathroom to match (it's a full bath remodel). We already have all the pieces, too; just need to install them.

Default spout

It' soldered on.........