Culligan Mark 89 Brine Tank question

Users who are viewing this thread

theboneman21

Reaction score
Hello all

Wednesday morning I heard a trickling sound. Looked in the room and water was trickling out the overflow spout.

Opened the brine tank and the water was at the top

A funny thing though. The white tube from the conditioner was not attached to the float assembly (not sure if it is supposed to be; lived there less than a year, system came with the house, and only ever opened the tank to dump salt in it so never paid attention to whether or not it was attached. It has a 90 degree elbow compression fitting on it that suggests it might need to connect to the top of the float, but perhaps it is there to keep the tubing from coming out of the brine tank

One thing I will say is the white tubing was very high. What I mean is, the tubing had lots of slack outside the brine tank and the end of the tubing where the elbow fitting was was at the top of the tank. That tubing is the only thing that connects the brine tank to the conditioner so I am guessing the brine is supposed to be sucked through that tubing and into the conditioner. However, the end of the tubing was so high I am assuming part of the reason for the water build up was that it was not sucking anything out

I am due for a regen for tomorrow. I plan on shoving the tubing all the way down. Wondering if anyone knows if the elbow fitting is also supposed to attached to the top of the float assembly

I am attaching several images hoping someone has some ideas.

First pic is the water level I had to pail out.

Second is the tubing with the elbow fitting, how high in the brine well it is located, whether I should be attaching it to the float assembly or just shoving it down into the brine well further. The remaining sots are just of the culligan in case someone suggests something i can have an idea what is being spoken of.

Thanks in advance.

IMG-20130529-00259.jpgIMG-20130530-00263.jpgIMG-20130529-00261.jpgIMG-20130530-00264.jpgIMG-20130530-00268.jpg

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
The second photo shows the problem, the white elbow came off the gray tube that has the float.
Undo the other part of the elbow so that the white tubing is out of the way and remove the float assembly and then you can undo the nut and put white nut on the bottom part of the elbow over the gray tube and then re attach the two to the elbow making sure that the nut is tight on the elbow and put it back into the brine well and re attach the 3/8 white tubing to the elbow and you should be good to go.
The water was not controlled into the salt tank with that elbow apart like the photo showed.

theboneman21

Reaction score
i have another regen due for tuesday

i will check in later and let you know the status

thanks for the tip !!!

by the way in case i have to check something else, in the other pics there is a three screw plate - is there anything under there, or where the brine tube fastens to the softener, that could need cleaning like screens or anything and is there a "best method" for cleaning?

thanks !

Last edited:

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
If the unit draws brine, it is possible you will get salty water after a regen. Having that much water in the brine tank will not give the unit time enough to properly rinse the resin of the brine water. If this is the case, run a bathtub cold water faucet for about 5 min or until the salty taste goes away.

theboneman21

Reaction score
If the unit draws brine, it is possible you will get salty water after a regen. Having that much water in the brine tank will not give the unit time enough to properly rinse the resin of the brine water. If this is the case, run a bathtub cold water faucet for about 5 min or until the salty taste goes away.

just like a one time thing or always after a regen ?

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
A one time thing as long as the water level in the brine tank stays at normal level. The unit is designed to draw brine for about 20 min and rinse for 40 min. With the brine tank full of water, it will draw brine for the entire 60 min and not have enough rinse time to clear the resin of salt.

theboneman21

Reaction score
A one time thing as long as the water level in the brine tank stays at normal level. The unit is designed to draw brine for about 20 min and rinse for 40 min. With the brine tank full of water, it will draw brine for the entire 60 min and not have enough rinse time to clear the resin of salt.

Ok so right now the water is like 1 inch above the salt but my salt is low, like less than half tank. Just picked more up at lunch to dump in.

so should i try as best as possible to get rid of the excess water BEFORE adding more salt ?

And then as far as the bathtub thing goes, I do that AFTER my next regen for 5 minutes?

One other thing. I poured like 2 litres hot tap water in the brine well (little 4 inch tube inside the salt tank). the water lvel in there is like %40 of the way up the well. Is that ok ?

theboneman21

Reaction score
Ok so i no longer have a 1 inch water line above the salt. Seems to be working i think, as it appears to have sucked out the water. Thanks everyone, it SEEMS to be ok

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks