(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ball valve stem leak

I'm a complete amateur but this subject seems somewhat related to my problem.

I have a Legend S-1100 Ball Valve that shuts the water off to the sprinkler system on the opposite side of the wall outside.
    The problem is there is a leak through the valve itself, as when I open that little brass cap right next to the valve (to let the water drain out of the pipe between the valve and the back flow preventer valve outside), it continues to drip.
    So, it's not shutting off completely, allowing a small amount of water (a drip about every 5 seconds) to flow through the pipe.

Unfortunately this ball valve has no packing nut! Nothing to tighten except the nut that holds the handle on and I have no idea what to do now.
    Is it too old? Do I need to replace it completely? I don't have all the tools to do that, so I was hoping there was something I'm missing.

I'd take a picture of the thing but my camera is broken too.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Terry; 10-02-2012 at 04:46 PM.

Ah, thanks for the image Terry.
    So, I guess I'll just have to replace the whole thing, then.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Have you pulled the handle and looked to see if there is a bonnet nut under there somewhere?
    From deleted post above. Terry
    If I'm understanding his observation, it's not leaking around the handle, it's leaking through the seal on the valve itself as evidenced by there being water coming out the drain hole. If so, then the valve itself is worn out or defective.

But, if the backflow preventer wasn't working properly, any water in the sprinkler system could drain back and have a drip there for quite awhile unless you blew out the lines with an air compressor.
    Last edited by Terry; 10-03-2012 at 11:38 AM.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by jadnashua View Post
    If I'm understanding his observation, it's not leaking around the handle, it's leaking through the seal on the valve itself as evidenced by there being water coming out the drain hole. If so, then the valve itself is worn out or defective.

But, if the backflow preventer wasn't working properly, any water in the sprinkler system could drain back and have a drip there for quite awhile unless you blew out the lines with an air compressor.
    For some reason I do not see Terry's reply in the thread, so I didn't know he asked that question.
    Sorry about that.

Yes, it's leaking out of the drain hole, not the handle (though I did remove the handle and there is absolutely nothing to adjust or grab onto under there).
    It's interesting to learn that, while ball valves may be more reliable, they are pretty much unrepairable when they do go, as compared to other valve types.
    Is this a correct assumption?

I suppose if I were more handy this wouldn't be so much of an issue

Thanks for the help!

edit
    btw, it is a brand new Febco back flow preventer, and I did notice last year that the drip was still happening even after blowing out the lines, so it must be the shut off valve.
    Last edited by DanielV; 10-03-2012 at 11:29 AM.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Overheating it during installation could ruin the seals.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014