Run dedicated 3/4" pex to master shower?

Users who are viewing this thread

ceiiinosssttuu

Reaction score
I ran one 3/4" hot pex line to the master bathroom which serves a manifold that branches into five 1/2" pex lines. There are 3 fixtures plus 2 shower heads on pressure balancing valves. I don't want to have a pressure drop if both shower heads are going and someone turns on the hot water in the sink, for example. Should I run a separate 3/4" pex hot line that is just dedicated to the master shower? Is that necessary?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The key is how much will be running at the same time. One 1/2" pex line feeding two showerheads is close to that tubing's max flow depending on the hot/cold mix. 3/4" pex is somewhat larger than 1/2" copper, and 3/4" copper is probably a good size for a bathroom group. If the pressure drops on the cold side (sink and someone flushes the toilet), that may be enough with 1/2" line to cause a pressure balance valve to throttle the hot side while it's also feeding the shower. Pex is good because it uses fewer fittings, and thus has less friction loss, but volume still depends a significant amount on ID, and copper beats it size-for-size.

ceiiinosssttuu

Reaction score
Sorry I forgot to mention: I ran two 1/2" pex hots and two 1/2" pex colds to the dual shower. With 3 other fixtures in the bathroom besides these, do I have to worry about a pressure drop if someone uses the sink because the entire bathroom is fed by one 3/4" pex hot and one 3/4" pex cold? Or should I cap off the 1/2" hot lines to the shower and run a dedicated 3/4" pex line to the shower all the way from the 1" main in the mechanical room so it has all the volume to itself?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You are fine with what you have done.
You did right by running 3/4" to the manifold, and then running 1/2" to each fixture. You're golden!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks