Minimum Trap Arm Length

Users who are viewing this thread

handyman923

Reaction score
Is there a minimum trap arm length for a washer stand pipe? Right now, I have the outlet from the P-trap butting tight to the sanitary tee. Is this too close? Will this create a S trap?

Thanks for any advice!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I think I read two pipe diameters, but don't quote me on this...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
trap

Depending on how you measure the trap arm, the two fittings may "force" it to be at least two diameters between the "pipes". IF you have a proper vent you cannot "create" an "S" trap as long as the maximum length is within the parameters for the pipe size.

index.php

Last edited by a moderator:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
The third page of this pdf has a diagram and a table that may be helpful. You measure, according to it, from the interior portion of the vertical pipe on the p-trap (the weir is where it tips over to the horizontal) TO the closest portion of the vent pipe. The top right diagram on the third page of the document makes it clearer. 3" pipe has a minimum 6" trap arm.

Plumbing-and-Trenching-for-Homeowners---2018 (klickitatcounty.org)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks