water heater to utility sink

Users who are viewing this thread

cmcoffey13

Reaction score
I have an existing mini water heater that is on a "shelf" about 12 feet in the air. I'm hoping to install a utility sink underneath it. Currently the water heater is running to a bathroom. How do I run the lines to the sink? Do they need to be cut and redirected with elbows? I've never done any plumbing except to replace a toilet. I got a $1000 quote from a plumber and am not willing to pay that.
Thanks

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
If the cold line coming to the water heater is at least 1/2", you should able to add tees and elbows or whatever and bring cold and hot water down to your new sink without robbing all the flow to the bathroom...but you might still experience a bit of disruption at the bath or shower whenever someone uses the new sink at the same time. What kind of lines do you have at the heater?

cmcoffey13

Reaction score
It's copper pipe. Is that what you mean?
I'm hoping for perhaps a step by step idea on how to do this. I would like to work on it today. There is no shower. Just sink and toilet.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
It's copper pipe. Is that what you mean?
Yes.

I'm hoping for perhaps a step by step idea on how to do this.
How does your water heater happen to be "on a 'shelf' about 12 feet in the air", and are all your plumbing lines up there also? A picture or two could be helpful here, and what do you have available for a drain line for the new sink?

cmcoffey13

Reaction score
It was there, not sure why. I have a pic but can't figure out how to send it to you...
Also I think the heater is up there for gravity to help??lol

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It doesn't matter where the water heater is.
An fixture can have water, if you supply it with piping or tubing. Any hardware store will pipe and fittings. It's a simple matter to cut in tees from the water heater and run them to the fixture. At the fixture, it's a good idea to have shutoffs. If you are using 1/2" pipe, you will need 1/2" x 3/8 compression, the most used size. The faucet may come with supplies or you may need to pick up lav supplies for it.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
mickey mouse job

It doesn't matter where the water heater is.
An fixture can have water, if you supply it with piping or tubing. Any hardware store will pipe and fittings. It's a simple matter to cut in tees from the water heater and run them to the fixture. At the fixture, it's a good idea to have shutoffs. If you are using 1/2" pipe, you will need 1/2" x 3/8 compression, the most used size. The faucet may come with supplies or you may need to pick up lav supplies for it.

there is a thousand ways to rig this up without paying someone $1000...

why fool around with the water heater when you could probably do it all under the vanity??.

you could probably just tie onto the 3/8th lines under your vanity feeding the faucet if they are close enough to your new sink... all you would need is 2 3/8 compression tees and the 3/8th copper to run
it to the new sink location.... its not brain surgery....

the drain line is another story... hack saw and some glue

remember that hot goes on the left and cold goes on the right...

so what the hell have you been up to Terry??

still dateing the hot chick??.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Hi Mark,
I was just telling Sue about you this afternoon on our walk by the lake and how you sold me http://waterheatersseattle.com/
I'm thinking more water heaters is a good thing.

crystal_sue_1854b.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks