Pressure Drop - whole house filter - Aquapure AP903

Users who are viewing this thread

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
BTW, what is the rated GPM flow rate and expected pressure drop on that filter?

Not very good spec sheet but none the less, they claim "up to" 20 GPM peak flow rate.
http://www.3mwater.com/media/catalog/product/pdfs/AP903SpecSheet.pdf

They explicitly say "This product is not designed for potable water with precipitating iron, bacteria or chloramine present" and I'm curious whether it turns out that iron is to blame. With the iron I have, that filter probably wouldn't last a day.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Chloramine is not uncommon in municipal water supplies, and that may be what's gumming up the works.

Greenaim

Reaction score
Hi There,

It sounds like you are having a very similar problem to ours. I also have the AP903 with AP917HD carbon filter. I have used 2 so far in the past approximately 4 months and water pressure has dropped to very low (i.e., can only use water from 1 source at a time), after about 2 months of use each time. The water pressure started to drop after about 2 weeks, but I just didn't notice. We used the AP917R filter cartridge(no longer available) previously, and the filters lasted about 1 year as they are supposed to. We did have a water softener before, but we decided not to use it anymore. The AP 917HD filter is currently used without any other filtration system. You should definitely contact 3M, and find out what they say. I am in Canada, and 3M said that they did have a problem with a batch of AP917HDS (not the AP917HD), and are so far helpful in trying to resolve this issue. 3M is going to give me a new AP917HD filter and I am sending in a sample of unfiltered water and returning the 2 used filter for analysis via the retailer. They also plan to replace the other filter once they get the water and returned filtered tested.

AP917HD filters should last about 1 year. From talking to the retailer, it sounds like there are sediments in the water that is clogging up the AP917HD. I am planning to get a pre-filter that back washes automatically (filters about 30microns), and see if that would resolve this issue.

Contact 3M, and you should at least get your filter replaced at no cost as it did not last the duration that it should have.

Lordoftheflies

Reaction score
Hi There,

It sounds like you are having a very similar problem to ours. I also have the AP903 with AP917HD carbon filter. I have used 2 so far in the past approximately 4 months and water pressure has dropped to very low (i.e., can only use water from 1 source at a time), after about 2 months of use each time. The water pressure started to drop after about 2 weeks, but I just didn't notice. We used the AP917R filter cartridge(no longer available) previously, and the filters lasted about 1 year as they are supposed to. We did have a water softener before, but we decided not to use it anymore. The AP 917HD filter is currently used without any other filtration system. You should definitely contact 3M, and find out what they say. I am in Canada, and 3M said that they did have a problem with a batch of AP917HDS (not the AP917HD), and are so far helpful in trying to resolve this issue. 3M is going to give me a new AP917HD filter and I am sending in a sample of unfiltered water and returning the 2 used filter for analysis via the retailer. They also plan to replace the other filter once they get the water and returned filtered tested.

AP917HD filters should last about 1 year. From talking to the retailer, it sounds like there are sediments in the water that is clogging up the AP917HD. I am planning to get a pre-filter that back washes automatically (filters about 30microns), and see if that would resolve this issue.

Contact 3M, and you should at least get your filter replaced at no cost as it did not last the duration that it should have.

Thanks a lot for posting that. I did call them and gave been waiting for a replacement filter. Sorry to hear you are having issues as well. I will keep you posted on what happens next...

Greenaim

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for posting that. I did call them and gave been waiting for a replacement filter. Sorry to hear you are having issues as well. I will keep you posted on what happens next...

When I first contacted the retailer (a place that specializes various home improvement products), the salesperson told me that they sell a lot of AP917HD filters and haven't received any negative feedback. They had one customer from a moderately populated area with well-derived water who also had a prematurely clogged AP917HD filter. The customer resolved the problem by adding a German made water softener and an expensive pre-filter. I am in a busy urban area with municipally supplied water.

From talking extensively with the salesperson, it sounds like all of their customers who uses the AP917HD also have other filtration system(s) attached, and that may be why no one else is having issues. Anything from the water supply, such as sediments, rust from old city pipes, dirt from nearby construction/pipe replacement can easily plugged up the filter. Although, according to customer service at 3M, the filter should last one year used alone in a municipal setting as long as there is nothing unusual(such as construction, water pipe replacement) going on. Personally, after spending time, effort on 2 filters, and based on information from the retailer, I think the 3M AP917HD filter is not an appropriate filter to be used by itself for my purpose. It is possible that there is something in the AP917HD design that is causing the premature clogging (3M said that they have no known issue with this particular filter), but I am waiting for 3M to comment after their analysis of the old filters I am sending back.

Right now the water is on bypass and I can really smell the chlorine at times. At least, the AP917HD was effective in removing the chlorine. I am going to add a pre-filter(as recommended by the retailer and the same one as their other customer who had a similar problem uses) to the AP917HD. My other options are to add a water softener, or use a different type of water filtration system (using resin/beads/sands) instead of disposable carbon filters. These options are considerable more expensive. and not necessarily "better" or "needed" for my purpose for now IMHO.

One of the old filters was cut open as advised by the retailer. Photos posted below. However, I spoke to 3M afterward, and they don't recommended this. They prefer to do the analysis hemselves and said that an average customer can't really tell want the problem is anyway. The salesperson from the retailer looked at the cut open filter and said that it was very dirty and is equivalent to ones that have been used for 10 months minimum. I would not recommend that you cut open yours as it would likely be a waste of time and effort.

I will also try to post when I get a reply from the 3M and find out if the pre-filter works out. BTW, your plumber did a really neat job of installing the filter. Unlike the way our retailer installed ours with the filter sort of hanging on by brackets and no bypass. It would also be nice to have those gauges. I hope you get your problem resolved, but it does sound like you might have to consider installing an additional filtration system because of your specific water supply. Glad to have read your posts so that I know this is not an isolated/uncommon issue as I was originally lead to believe.

Filter.jpg
Filter2.jpg

Last edited:

Lordoftheflies

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info. Fwiw I filled tub yest while still on bypass and the difference was ridiculous. The turbidity alone was cause for concern. I had never realized how cloudy my water is without a filter. Still waiting for my replacement filter.

I'm not a fan if "oh we've never encountered this problem before - this is the first time..."

Lame excuse.

Hairyhosebib

Reaction score
Personally, I am impressed with the pro press fittings. Makes for a nice fast installation. I don't know how they are considered bulky, but they are expensive. I personally use two .5 filters. That is one half micron. One particulate, one carbon. I am on a city water system and have no pressure issues. I change them once a year.
Perhaps you could remove that 20 inch filter cartridge. Put the bowl back on and try opening the valves one either side of the filter body one side at a time. You never know what might blow out Filtration is your first defense against sand and rocks getting to your faucets and other fixtures. I occasionally remove faucet areators just to see what is being held in them. Most all of the time there is nothing there to wash out of them. I soften my water too.

Lordoftheflies

Reaction score
New filter received yesterday. Swapped it out and now I see the expected 1-3psi pressure drop. Spoke to Chad at 3M re: what the expected pressure drop should be.

After speaking with Chad he said small particles (1-2 micron) might be clogging up the carbon block and also said the phrase "we'll work with you to get it resolved" several times.

My water test from 3M came back. See below. Seems like I don't have an iron or a chloramine issue.

Suggested we might go with a AP802 before the Ap903 but heck, I thought the AP903 was supposd to be able to handle everything on its own. Hm.

Knock on wood and let's see what happens with this filter. Installed Jun-6-2013.

Would like to see the picture of the filter when they open it up as well.

Water Report.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Lordoftheflies

Reaction score
Well I am seeing some pressure drop now after 7 days. Haven't heard back from 3M yet on what they saw with my first filter.

However, I experimented a little with the PRV and cranked it up to the max (75psi) that it allows.....

Now when I run the tap the dynamic incoming pressure is right there at 75psi..........and the post filter gauge shows 50psi! 33% drop.

I'm going to have to call 3M tomorrow again to discuss my options. I can live with 50psi........however, I can just guess that it will be showing <20psi sooner rather than later.

I may end up trying to the filter that comes with the AP902 (no carbon block) and also consider swapping out this unit for the AP802.......with the AP817 filter it filters down to 25 microns instead of 5 and still does 20gpm (40gpm when two filters are used in the AP802 housing I believe).

Greenaim

Reaction score
Well I am seeing some pressure drop now after 7 days. Haven't heard back from 3M yet on what they saw with my first filter.

However, I experimented a little with the PRV and cranked it up to the max (75psi) that it allows.....

Now when I run the tap the dynamic incoming pressure is right there at 75psi..........and the post filter gauge shows 50psi! 33% drop.

I'm going to have to call 3M tomorrow again to discuss my options. I can live with 50psi........however, I can just guess that it will be showing <20psi sooner rather than later.

I may end up trying to the filter that comes with the AP902 (no carbon block) and also consider swapping out this unit for the AP802.......with the AP817 filter it filters down to 25 microns instead of 5 and still does 20gpm (40gpm when two filters are used in the AP802 housing I believe).

We installed a relative expensive pre-filter( not by 3M) that filters 30microns and have been using it with the AP917HD for approx. 4 weeks. The water pressure has dropped by about 50% (very noticeable, but still tolerable). I just contacted 3M as I still haven't received the results of the water sample and the 2 used filters I sent back. I am still waiting for another replacement filter and would like the current one replaced as well. The next option would be to either install another pre-filter, or just switch to another type of filtration system. It really sounds like we have very similar problems which would lead me to believe that the AP917HD is not meant to last 1 year as claimed by3M in most cases. We have municipally supplied water, and our water consumption is at most average or below. Just wanted to post back to provide a comparison. I will probably have to go back to the retailer, and see what the options are, and post back when I hear back from 3M and decide on what to do next.

Lordoftheflies

Reaction score
Sorry to hear you are having the same problem. 3M sent me TWO AP917HD filters and both lasted only 8 days or so. The water was unbelievably clear and it was made more obvious to me when they sent me the AP910 filter (the one without the carbon block that goes with the AP902 kit) and the turbidity has increased noticeably.

However, the pressure has not dropped and it has been over two weeks of normal use.

Chad from 3M said it is most likely the carbon block that is clogging up with particles that are <5 micron. I would think that 3M would have tested this filter properly before selling it. It seems a bit ridiculous that a filter that is supposed to last a year or 100K gallons on municipal water is only lasting 8 days.

The clogging rendered the water pressure useless. It was literally dribbling out even after cranking up the PRV to max (75psi).

So........my options now are rather limited. I do prefer the water filtered for chlorine as you can definitely tell the difference in taste. The water also now makes my kids' hair difficult to brush so it must be the chlorine.

I can either add a chlorine-only granule based filter.....and then deal with having the plumber having to cut into the existing piping.......or just leave it the way it is for now. I will call 3M next week and see if they will send me such a unit for free. :D Yeah, I know, good luck with that.

We installed a relative expensive pre-filter( not by 3M) that filters 30microns and have been using it with the AP917HD for approx. 4 weeks. The water pressure has dropped by about 50% (very noticeable, but still tolerable). I just contacted 3M as I still haven't received the results of the water sample and the 2 used filters I sent back. I am still waiting for another replacement filter and would like the current one replaced as well. The next option would be to either install another pre-filter, or just switch to another type of filtration system. It really sounds like we have very similar problems which would lead me to believe that the AP917HD is not meant to last 1 year as claimed by3M in most cases. We have municipally supplied water, and our water consumption is at most average or below. Just wanted to post back to provide a comparison. I will probably have to go back to the retailer, and see what the options are, and post back when I hear back from 3M and decide on what to do next.

Last edited:

Greenaim

Reaction score
Sorry to hear you are having the same problem. 3M sent me TWO AP917HD filters and both lasted only 8 days or so. The water was unbelievably clear and it was made more obvious to me when they sent me the AP910 filter (the one without the carbon block that goes with the AP902 kit) and the turbidity has increased noticeably.

However, the pressure has not dropped and it has been over two weeks of normal use.

Chad from 3M said it is most likely the carbon block that is clogging up with particles that are <5 micron. I would think that 3M would have tested this filter properly before selling it. It seems a bit ridiculous that a filter that is supposed to last a year or 100K gallons on municipal water is only lasting 8 days.

The clogging rendered the water pressure useless. It was literally dribbling out even after cranking up the PRV to max (75psi).

So........my options now are rather limited. I do prefer the water filtered for chlorine as you can definitely tell the difference in taste. The water also now makes my kids' hair difficult to brush so it must be the chlorine.

I can either add a chlorine-only granule based filter.....and then deal with having the plumber having to cut into the existing piping.......or just leave it the way it is for now. I will call 3M next week and see if they will send me such a unit for free. :D Yeah, I know, good luck with that.

I just got the result of the analysis of the water sample I sent from 3M. Overall, the water is harder, and the iron content is higher than recommended. Everything else is within recommended range. 3M said they have already credited the retailer with 2 filters, so I am waiting for the retailer to double checked that. I want to pick up the 2nd replacement filter. I sense a bit of reluctance from 3M to replace the current AP917HD filter that has been used for only approx. 4 weeks and is already clogging up. I am going to try to push for credit for the filter at least. If you received 2 AP917HD filters replacement when you only purchased one, then you are getting better customer service than me. Maybe, this is because you are in the US. In Canada, we don't always get the customer service we should, esp. compared to US. :).

3M made 2 recommendations: Install a AQUA-PURE water softener CWS 100ME or use AP910R filter in place of the AP917HD. I do not want to invest in a water softener right now because I am not convinced of its benefits or necessity and I do not want to drink ionized water (water softener would be hooked up to supply for drinking as well). From their information based on the water analysis, I believe that they are trying to say that AP917HD would not be useful/appropriate without a water softener.

I am sure you know this already, as far as I know the AP910R is only a sediment filter. With this filter, you are only filtering out sediments. Chlorine is not being removed. For me, one of the main reason for the whole house water filtration system is to remove the chlorine. I notice a real difference is dryness of skin with the chlorine. According to the retailer, the AP910R will likely not cause water pressure drop as readily as the AP917HD because it only filters out sediments. This does not really solve the problem since the purpose of having a whole house water filtration system is not being served IMHO.

I am waiting for 3M to come up with a more practical and useful recommendation. The retailer is also recommending a water softener (which we don't want). Another option is to get a carbon filter that back washes (this will cost less over a period of time as per the retailer since the carbon would not require replacement as often as the AP917HP), but this will be another investment. Agree with you 100% that it is ridiculous a water filter designed to last 1 year only lasts 8 days with municipally supplied water. For us, I think I started noticing a water pressure drop after 1 week of use when the AP917HD was used by itself. Definitely not useful after 4 weeks with the water pressure drop even with a pre-filter. Somehow, I do feel the 3M misled me in terms of how useful the AP917HD filter/filtration system is, and who the intended user should be. I have to say though, I am content with the water quality the AP917HD provides. Hope you get your problem resolved.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
http://residential.everpure.com/en-...tion-systems/t-20-whole-house-premium-system/ I'd either call them or e-mail them info@everpure.com . I could not find an expected life of this filter. I've used one of their point of use ones, and found that good. My sister bought one way back when, and found that the dog and cat, given a choice, would drink the water from the filter, and avoid the normal tap water. She bought it when the local water supply issued a boil order for a problem they had and to have better water available under more normal circumstances. We combined our orders and saved a little. I have not spent time looking for what's available and their good and bad points, so this may or may not be a good solution for your situation. Might be worth looking at, though.

Lordoftheflies

Reaction score
I just checked the pressure before and after the AP903 (with the AP910 non-carbon block filter) today and I'm seeing a 10psi drop from 70=>60.

This is not good.

It has been less than a month. New filter was installed Jun-18-2013.

Will call 3M tomorrow and see what my options are.

Greenaim

Reaction score
I just checked the pressure before and after the AP903 (with the AP910 non-carbon block filter) today and I'm seeing a 10psi drop from 70=>60.

This is not good.

It has been less than a month. New filter was installed Jun-18-2013.

Will call 3M tomorrow and see what my options are.

I compared the analysis of our water samples. The only thing I saw that was higher in your water sample was turbidity. My water sample showed higher than recommended iron, water hardness, TDS. It would appear that whatever is clogging up the filters might be different for us, but the results are very similar.

I did ask the customer service rep. at 3M regarding the AP910R filter. He said that he did not believe that it would solve the problem. He also said that he couldn't really provide any useful solution that would resolve the issue. He also still seemed to insist that the AP917HD can be used by itself as described and that there is just something in my water supply that is not in a lot of other water supply. At first, I thought it was due to hardness or iron. But, after looking at your water sample result, I am not so sure. It must be something else. 3M did agree to credit for 2 more of the AP917HD filters, but said that anything else I decide to try will be at my own expense. I also had to contact them repeatedly.

I went to the retailer, and spoke to the owner. He agreed to apply the credit toward the purchase of another system. I had originally really wanted to stay with a 3M product, but there doesn't seem to be one that would be appropriate. I decided to get an activated carbon (instead of the 3M carbon block) filtration system that automatically backwashes. I was told that the filtration is approx. 60microns. The expensive sediment prefilter (30microns) is now a bit of a waste, although not totally useless. The activated carbon filter would have to be replaced and serviced approx. every 5 years. Overall, somewhat expensive, and not an ideal resolution in terms of cost. I also do not like anything that needs to be professionally maintained. The system has not been installed yet, so I don't know how well it is going to work. But I wanted to let you know that this may be one of your options. The owner of the store seemed quite knowledgeable, and he believed that this will solve the problem. I am not going to get the 5microns filtration that the AP917HD provided. There are other types of filtration systems that use sand, mixed metal alloy (zinc/copper) and various beads, but they are more complex and expensive at first. I decided to go with the filtration media that I am more familiar with.

At some point, I even thought of just forgetting about a water filtration system. But, the pipes in the city are old, and there probably is a lot of junk coming through the pipes. It is quite a frustrating experience. The filtration system that I am getting is made by Hague in Ohio. After talking about the system and different options, I don't even know if the retailer applied the credit and charged for the new system properly.

Last edited:

Jacob Silver

Reaction score
I Know your Problem Exactly. I have the Same Exact Filter. It is a Carbon Filter that is supposed to Last for 100K gallons, but on Long Island we have Naturally Occurring Iron that is stuffing up the filter after 3 months and 15,000 Gallons. You Need a Pre-Filter to get rid of the sediment and Iron with a Cheaper filter Like the AP802 and then use the AP903 after that to get rid of the chlorine and taste issues.
Call Up the LADY who works at 3M and ask for them to send you the AP802 Filter for Free, as a Warranty issue.
I just Put up a Youtube Video on this:

Jacob Silver

Reaction score
It won't Let me Put in a YouTube Link showing the Installation of the AP802 Pre-Filter with Cheaper Filters
So Go on YouTube.
My Channel is "silverbankruptcy"
The Video is Titled
Installing a 3M Aquapure AP 802 Water Filter as a Pre-filter to an 3M Aquapure AP 903 Filter.
If you Like it, Please give it a Thumbs Up!

IsopureWater

Water Filtration Specialist
Reaction score
Website
www.isopurewater.com
This problem is caused by a premature clog in the media bed. I've read our fellow forum posters and I do agree that there should be some kind of sediment filter prior to the unit. However, the damage done to the resin bed is already done. Putting one now in place will not solve any issue the water already caused. You'll need to reset the bed. This looks like a cartridge so it may be impossible and a replacement may be necessary. If it has a backwash option (which I doubt), have it do a full flow backwash for about 10-15 minutes and see if that will resolve the issue.

Michael Milne

Reaction score
The pressure drop at 20gallons per minute is only 5psi, much less for most homes. The problem is you need a pre-filter, as the 904 will filter down to 5 microns, meaning it is catching everything. A 25 micron pre-filter will get everything down to very fine sand (scum really) that will mean it will let the 904 to really just do its job of chlorine and cysts instead of filtering sediment. A lot of municipalities see nothing wrong with the water with this very fine sand scum like sand in it.

A Rusco spin down or trap with 500 mesh would probably make it work as you planned.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks