How do you center an offcentered shower drain

Users who are viewing this thread

taz1811

DIY virgin
Reaction score
Just removed all the tile, 4 inches of cement, and the old shower liner and this is what I'm left with. Any ideas or suggestions on how to get this drain centered?

DSCF0051.jpg
DSCF0052.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The only way to do this is to move the walls! or crack some concrete and move the pipes. Or, leave it where it is. With a clamping drain, you'll either be building another conventional shower, or use a conversion drain and switch to something like Kerdi. Or, if you do end up moving it, just a drain for the system you choose. While it is nice to have the drain centered, it doesn't have to be - it must means the slope on the shorter wall will end up steeper (if you do it the way most people recommend it and have a level perimeter).

taz1811

DIY virgin
Reaction score
This is a shower in a basement that I demo'ed. So there is no pan, I'm assuming it's cemented into the house's foundation, and there is no slope. The drain is actually about an inch below all the concrete flooring. I was thinking about taking a circular saw with a diamond blade in an attempt to remove the foundation.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Concrete is not waterproof! Once you figure out where you want the drain, you really do need to put in a preslope then the waterproofing layer. If you use something like Kerdi, you do not need to add another mudbed on top of the liner, since Kerdi is the liner. You do need to choose the right drain, though, regardless of what you decide.

taz1811

DIY virgin
Reaction score
Is that a Pipe Shooter bit on the drill?

Now what? Are you going to bust some concrete? Wish I was doing demo today. Stuck in the office working the phone all day. Sucks. JW

The drill is actually a Dremel. I used it to cut off the old drain.

What's next you ask?....Not sure honestly. Should I take the circular saw and cut something like this?

new drain.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would take a sledge hammer to the floor, break out what is needed and then extend the horizonal waste line and install a new p-trap in the new location.
I could almost do that quicker than I can type it. :)

Well.............almost.

You're getting there. The hole will need to be deeper.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Those are water pressure fittings. There is no way a snake will pass though those.
Move the entire p-trap in the ground, and have only a vertical pipe down to the p-trap.

taz1811

DIY virgin
Reaction score
Terry,

Alright I took your advice and re did it. It was much more work than I expected, but it's coming together.

DSCF0073.jpg
DSCF0077.jpg
DSCF0079.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks