Peninsula electrical outlet?

Users who are viewing this thread

MarkLamberti

Reaction score
I am putting in an island as part of my kitchen remodel. It will be 72" long with a 10" overhang for a total of 82" on the long end, cabinets on one side and a 10" over hang on the other end for a total of 36" wide.

I am not sure where to put the outlet. I see it is often put ont the long end but i have an over hang there as well. I am unsure of the code but are you allowed to put an outlet on a side where you have an overhang?

I can put one on the wall where the pensula starts but the code says i need on one the *****ula as well. This is a non permit job so usability is more important then code in this respect.

thanks
mark

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Kitchens have some specific rules about the max distance between receptacles. On that length you may need three. Most kitchen appliances' cords are fairly short because they often have some significant heating elements. I think the max is 4' between for a kitchen.

MarkLamberti

Reaction score
yea i know the 2-4 foto rule but i also dont think your supposed to have them towards the top of the pensula if there is an overhang due to the same reasoning.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Whether you get a permit or not, it may come back to bite you later if you don't. You can always exceed the code minimum, you definitely should not shortchange it.

Stuff

Reaction score
Code says you can put the required outlet where there is an overhang of 6" or less and then not more than 12" below the counter top. NEC 210.52(C)(5) exception

It is not usability but safety. Most kitchen appliances have short cords and won't easily reach the outlet.

Either add 4" to your cabinets or cut 4" off the counter top length.

Reaction score

What JW showed you there is a "monument". They are very common in open plan offices, were power and telecommunications need to come up out of a floor to service desks arranged without partitions or walls.

There are many manufacturers with many designs, if that one does not suit you.

Or just change the 10" overhang to 6".

Reaction score
...cabinets on one side and a 10" over hang on the other end for a total of 36" wide.

I am not sure where to put the outlet. ....

thanks
mark

Hang on.

Are the cabinets built yet?

The cabinets face away from the side that has the overhang? They are close to the front edge of the counter on that side?

Either have the cabinets have a 2" wide void between each of them such that you can set an outlet vertically between them, or have them have a 3" wide rail along the top such that you can install two or three outlets on their sides just under the counter top, lying on their sides.

MarkLamberti

Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas guys. I saw that code about when the overhang is greater then 6". I dont want to do a pop up but i like the idea of using a spacer between the cabs and putting it there.

If i curve the end of the coutertop on the end of *****ula can i put one towards the corner?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks