Sledge Hammer Advice - CI Tub

Users who are viewing this thread

Chefwong

Reaction score
So I'm buying a sledge hammer to break up a CI tub.

Playing around with the measuring tape like a Golf T....
Should I get the 30" handle or 24". I think the 24" might be more better suited - but the 30" will give me a larger swing....

Love to hear from some real world feedback. There is also a 36" handle as well...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I take the tub outside, throw it on the truck or trailer, then take it to the junk yard. Too much work to break it up, and the broken porcelain is like shrapnel.

Chefwong

Reaction score
I was considering that....
I suppose it will be just the same amount of work bringing one up as to bring one down......grrr. I just can't wait..

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
One advantage to just "removing the tub" instead of breaking it is that you then know what has to be done to put the new one into the same space. Taking it down stairs is even easier because gravity helps you.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It will be an interesting story when you are done. What hj doesn't mention is how hard it is to lift a tub that has blocking around it. It's real hard to find a place to grab one, once it has been dropped into place. You're lifting 300 pounds up and out. Good luck on that one.

I use a sledge with a long handle, and cover the tub with plastic before I break it. And the dump doesn't care how many pieces you drop off. It's all garbage to them.

mateer-02.jpg

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; What hj doesn't mention is how hard it is to lift a tub that has blocking around it.

Lift it????? I have NEVER 'lifted' a cast iron, or any other type of tub. You "roll" them in, and out, then slide them where they have to go.

DougB

Reaction score
I had a hugh tub - they said it was a 'garden tub' - much more than 300 lbs. They must have installed the tub before the inside framing.

Used my 4" wet saw and made a slot big enough to get in a steel wedge. I got the tub out in about 8 pieces.

Pictures 001.jpg

bob_cville

Reaction score
I had the joy of doing this recently. I had a small 3 lb sledge that was completely worthless, but I didn't feel like buying a new sledge for this one task, so I used the hammer end of a 8 lb splitting maul. I also used a heavy moving blanket in the tub to stop the broken porcelain shrapnel. I was wearing hearing protection, eye protection, and a heavy duty dust mask, and had to stop every 15 minutes or so to go outside and catch my breath. All told it was a couple of hours of fun. I left the pieces in a pile next to the dumpster, and a local junk man came by and picked it up.

-Bob

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks