Toe kick heater hot water

Users who are viewing this thread

MarkLamberti

Reaction score
Hello;
I am redoing my kitchen and dinning room aprox 12x25 in size. I am removing 2 radiators and plan to heat with only toe kick heaters. The room will be split with a peninsula. I was planning on using only one toe kick heater in this however I am now thinking I may be better with 2 smaller units one facing the kitchen side of the peninsula and the other facing the dining area.

Just looking for opinions on this.

Also can I daisy chain 2 of these together? I have a hot water boiler with 4 zones and 4 pumps with individual 1/2 PEX runs to each rad. These will be tied into one PEX run and be alone on that run or together with each other.

Also aprox what BTU should i shoot for here. I am in NY and the rooms will have R-13 in them. with 3 windows

Thanks
Mark

Last edited by a moderator:

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
For approximating the BTU loads we need to know:

How many square feet of window, and what U-factor (if known) or type? (single pane, double pane, low-E, argon filled, whaddevah.)

How many square feet of exterior wall (not including window area.)

Then there's the consequential issue of the output temperature of the boiler water...

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
I am removing 2 radiators and plan to heat with only toe kick heaters.
Based on my limited experience with a hydronic heater in the kickspace under my kitchen sink a few years ago, I would guess you are going to have difficulty getting anywhere near the heat output of the radiators you are removing.

also can i daisy chain 2 of these together?
That would depend upon whether the water leaving the first unit would still be hot enough to start the fan in the second unit, but you could control both fans with one sensor.

Have you considered hydronic heat either in or under your floor?

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Breacon Morris makes two models, the k42 and the k84. The 41 puts out 41000 btu's and the 84 puts out 8400. They should be placed so they don't blow hot air across your feet so not where you stand frequently as the hot air gets quite uncomfortable. They need to be piped using mono-flow tee's also because they use 1/2" inlets and outlets and running straight through causes a whole lot of restriction in the loop. The k84 equals about 14 feet of 3/4" baseboard so a single unit should suffice, especially in a kitchen where we generally don't like to over radiate due to heat gain from appliances. My own house is 150 years old with very little insulation and single pane windows and I have no heat in the kitchen at all.

http://beacon-morris.com/html/kickspace_heat_twin_flo.asp

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks