Too many bends in the pipes? Shower replumb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Kristoff

Reaction score
We just had our shower/tub replumbed. Instead of running the hot and cold feed from the bottom UP into the shower valve, the plumber ran the feeds above the valve, put in 2 90 degree angles on each feed and then ran the feed down into the valve. He claimed he had no choice given the design of the valve and the carpentry situation (whcih strikes me as just incorrect).

My question: will these two extra 90 degree bends reduce our water pressure?

And is there a problem with having a bend so close (about 12 inches) to the valve?

Shoudl we have this replumbed?

Thank you for your help/ it's much appreciated.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It makes no difference.
That 1/2" line will feed two plumbing fixtures.
And have you counted the length of pipe and number of fittings just to get to your bathroom?
My basic charts are good for 80 feet of pipe, and they don't even mention fittings.

https://terrylove.com/watersize.htm

moen_posi-temp.jpg

See the tiny little port on the far right?

Last edited:

Kristoff

Reaction score
It doesn't make any difference, but I wonder WHY he HAD to drop down to the valve.

Well, I figured that one out just this afternoon. He "had" to because he assembled the whole valve incorrectly. It's a solid brass valve and it consists of a diverter, hot valve, cold valve, connected by brass connectors. He put the hot and cold valves (not sure of hte right terminology) in the wrong orientation. In other words, he made a big mistake and he won't admit it.

It now needs to be removed and replumbed (and will also likely require a visit to small claims court because the plumber is avoiding us), which leads to another question: if all of the pieces are assembled with teflon tape (as per instruction sheet), I assume they can be taken apart and reassembled in the proper fashion without any damage?

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The valve should be fine, but you typically need to cut or disconnect pipe to unscrew them. FWIW, some valves will work just fine if they're upside down (which is common on back-to-back showers) and is listed in the installation manual. In this case, the cartridge is just inserted 180-degrees upside down, and everything works fine.

Chefwong

Reaction score
OT, but on the port size, I've read of others drilling out the washer/restrictor on a showerhead to increase water.

If one was KraFty enough, would there be any benefit on drilling out the port on the diverter as in the Pic depicted above

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The water passage down to the "tub" port and then back up to the shower opening goes past the operating mechanism so it you tried to drill it larger you would probably ruin the valve. A Moen valve does NOT have a "proper" hot and cold orientation. If it is reversed, and it is often installed that way, all you do is reorient the cartridge to compensate for it.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If it is reversed, and it is often installed that way, all you do is reorient the cartridge to compensate for it.

In the Posi-Temp, You pull the clip, pull the cartridge out and reinsert it upside down. That reverses it.
In the old Moen's, you would simply spin the spindle of the cartridge in place and put the knob back on.

It made for less fittings at rough, and easy to fix any goofs.
When Sue had her remodel done, $35,000 of it, many of the plumbing fixtures were reversed. She had a Posi-Temp that needed reversing, and some lavs that I was able to cross over with lav supplies. At least the toilets were run with cold.

I assume they can be taken apart and reassembled in the proper fashion without any damage?

A threaded joint? Yes. It's all good on that point.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks