(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: pumptec problem

Default pumptec problem

I was having some issues with my pump tec last summer. it seemed like just connection issues within the pumptec itself.Sometimes the wells pump wouldnt come on,but Re positioning the PTec faceplate usually worked.It functioned normally for the next 7 months then it started acting up again .

I noticed yesterday something different happened. The single reset(1 red button) would kick off,but if i waited a few minutes or so,and reset it it would run the pump as usual.
    Then, at some point, a few (4 or 5)resets later, the lights in the pumptec cover plate were completely off(not lit as theyre supposed to be when connected to its box.Sometimes there will be a slight bit of red and green light but not bright like it usually is.
    Either way,lights dim or out,the jet still operates,but it no longer activates the well pump.
    Any ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Timbuktu; 05-21-2013 at 10:37 PM.

There is an obvious bad connection on one of those red, twist on, Scotch locks.

Thx Valveman
    Boy is it great the days are longer,still not enough time though.
    Although the dark burn spot you see on the twist cap has been there for a year or more,i guess it may have finally deteriorated enough by this time to reduce but not totally lose enough power to still run the jet...right?
    Im going out now,and giver a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuktu View Post
    I was having some issues with my pump tec last summer. it seemed like just connection issues within the pumptec itself.Sometimes the wells pump wouldnt come on,but Re positioning the PTec faceplate usually worked.It functioned normally for the next 7 months then it started acting up again.
    The connection could have been causing a problem since "last summer". Everytime you giggled the box it would work again for a while. Looks burned now.

well,i replaced the twist and it worked fine. About 7 hours later I noticed it had tripped off after or during the first pumping cycle after the repair. i reset it and it continued to pump water again. i will go out now and check if it has trippedpped. Im back andd yes it had tripped. i reset it and within 5 sec it tripped off again. So Ill try retightening the nut to get as good of contact as I can and see if that solves the problem.
    if that doesnt solve the tripping,what could be causing it?Any advice on what i should do nxt would be appreciated.

Thirty minutes later
    I reset a couple more times,again,and itstill trips.
    Last edited by Timbuktu; 05-24-2013 at 03:49 AM.

next day thursday 23
    Today's Update on my pumptec/tripping ,for better clarification if needed

I left the trip switch in the tripped position for the last 12 or more hours 3pm to 3 am.
    Then, at 3 am I reset the switch and the pump worked fine for the expected 15 minutes when this low producing well nears empty.

Immediately after the water stops being pumped into the tank, the "control or condenser box" switch trips ...which isnt the way its supposed to do.Instead the pumptec is suppose to do the tripping
    Before it will resume pumping ,i have to wait from 4 to 12 hours before the pump motor will work . Normal wait time is 15 to 30 minutes when the settings are set that often .

well,i replaced the twist ant it worked fine. about 7 hours later I noticed it had triped off after or during the first pumping cycle after the repair. i reset it and it continued to pump water again. i will go out now and check if it has trippedpped. Im back andd yes it had tripped. i reset it and within 5 sec it tripped off again. So Ill try retightening the nut to get as good of contact as I can and see if that solves the problem.
    if that doesnt solve the tripping,what could be causing it?Any advice on what i should do nxt would be appreciated.

Thirty minutes later
    I reset a couple more times,again,and itstill trips.
    Last edited by Timbuktu; 05-24-2013 at 03:49 AM.

Default Fri 24 update on Tripping control box

Friday 24 3 AM

I just turned on the well ,as i did yesterday at 3 AM, but it didnt pump water as it had yesterday .
    The control box switch simply tripped off .
    So now it doesnt work ..... period!
    I would like to put off calling the pump outfit until i hear more from the forum members.

next day thursday
    Today's Update on my pumptec/tripping ,for better clarification if needed

I left the trip switch in the tripped position for the last 12 or more hours 3pm to 3 am.
    Then, at 3 am I reset the switch and the pump worked fine for the expected 15 minutes when this low producing well nears empty.

Immediately after the water stops being pumped into the tank, the "control or condenser box" switch trips ...which isnt the way its supposed to do.Instead the pumptec is suppose to do the tripping
    Before it will resume pumping ,i have to wait from 4 to 12 hours before the pump motor will work . Normal wait time is 15 to 30 minutes when the settings are set that often .
    Last edited by Timbuktu; 05-24-2013 at 03:50 AM.

Did You cut back the bad place in the wire that had the loose connection ?

The wires should be cut back to Good Clean wire.

You should check the other connections as well, they may be loose also.

Good Luck.
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net

Oh!......nope! Ill try it. Thx

Ok done! still trips. i tightened all other connections
    Last edited by Timbuktu; 05-25-2013 at 01:36 PM.

Ok done! but it still trips. i tightened all other connections

Time to get out the amp probe and find the problem.

With the looks of that connection, The connection was loose or the motor is drawing to much current.

If the connection was loose then maybe that toasted the motor, normally it would not but low voltage makes the current go up.

Or it is just wired wrong.

What Box are you using now ?

Good Luck.
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net

wiring hasnt been fooled with in the 5 yrs or more .
    It has its original pumptec and trip box. The 1-1.5HP.
    The 2HP I picked up as a parts item just in case. I have not used it and wouldnt until someone answers my other post asking if it is compatable.I posted this am side by side pics of both and the look like they might be compatible if needed. have a look at the pics posted today,this morning and tell me what you think?
    its listed unter the subject "i picked up this control box etc. its about 3 or so places below this posts position on the board. Scroll on down to the last entry dated today early am.

Ive gotta look and see if i even have an amp meter tester. volts yes ,but amps??not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by DonL View Post
    Time to get out the amp probe and find the problem.

With the looks of that connection, The connection was loose or the motor is drawing to much current.

If the connection was loose then maybe that toasted the motor, normally it would not but low voltage makes the current go up.

Or it is just wired wrong.

What Box are you using now ?

Good Luck.
    Last edited by Timbuktu; 05-25-2013 at 08:33 PM.

wiring hasnt been fooled with in the 5 yrs or more .
    It has its original pumptec and trip box. The 1-1.5HP.
    The 2HP I picked up as a parts item just in case. I have not used it and wouldnt until someone answers my other post asking if it is compatable.I posted this am side by side pics of both and the look like they might be compatible if needed. have a look at the pics posted today,this morning and tell me what you think?
    its listed unter the subject "i picked up this control box etc. its about 3 or so places below this posts position on the board. Scroll on down to the last entry dated today early am.

Ive gotta look and see if i even have an amp meter tester. volts yes ,but amps??not sure.
    I thought I was losing my mind (probably am anyway), but then I realized you started another thread, same topic, but named different. your other thread was named "I picked up a used pumptec that looks good. $10 buck was worth the gamble?? HHHHmmmmm And yes, as Don says, you need to measure the current with an "Amprobe" (brand name) or other clamp on meter.You can use an inline amp meter if you have one and the skills to use it, but I think, with all due respect at this point, you may not.
    Last edited by BobL43; 05-26-2013 at 05:13 AM.
    I am definitely not a pro plumber, but I am a pro crastinator

yes,actually As we got going in the pump problem,other aspects popped up i thought could be contained in their own post,but it sure didnt work out that way. instead of remaining separate topics they all began to merge and i lost control.
    I just succeeded in getting the pump to pump again,and I couldnt decide if there was a more approprate plasce to put it.I just ran across this post of yours.
    Boy this is the most spread out post ive ever got entangled with.
    Now when im about ready to post my successful pumping this am i still dont know just where to post it. Well where should I put it ?put it under the Pumptec problem? or i bought a pumptec for $10.
    Well,Ill just put it where my most recent member reply was this morning...

Oh heres a quote we can both probably relate to.
    "not only is my short term memory poor,so is my short term memory"

Quote Originally Posted by BobL43 View Post
    I thought I was losing my mind (probably am anyway), but then I realized you started another thread, same topic, but named different. your other thread was named "I picked up a used pumptec that looks good. $10 buck was worth the gamble?? HHHHmmmmm And yes, as Don says, you need to measure the current with an "Amprobe" (brand name) or other clamp on meter.You can use an inline amp meter if you have one and the skills to use it, but I think, with all due respect at this point, you may not.

yes,actually As we got going in the pump problem,other aspects popped up i thought could be contained in their own post,but it sure didnt work out that way. instead of remaining separate topics they all began to merge and i lost control.
    I just succeeded in getting the pump to pump again,and I couldnt decide if there was a more approprate plasce to put it.I just ran across this post of yours.
    Boy this is the most spread out post ive ever got entangled with.
    Now when im about ready to post my successful pumping this am i still dont know just where to post it. Well where should I put it ?put it under the Pumptec problem? or i bought a pumptec for $10.
    Well,Ill just put it where my most recent member reply was this morning...

Oh heres a quote we can both probably relate to.
    "not only is my short term memory poor,so is my short term memory"
    Maybe Terry can combine these 2 threads if you ask him to if that's what you want.

It's easy to lose control sometimes with posting. In the John Bridge tile forums, they will scold you (in fun) for doing that and combine the threads, as I have seen.

Good luck in figuring out your problem. I am not really a pump/well person, but I noticed in one of your posts that you said it tripped when the well ran low on water: ah yes, ypur post #6 here; maybe that is something to think about. a plain, regular centrifual pump would pull less current when not moving water, but if the well ran dry and the water kept starting and stopping flow over and over again, the sudden change in load may be causing the motor to ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, never mind, I'm just thinking out loud. I am basically an electrical/electronic controls guy, not a well guy (in several respects, lol).
    I am definitely not a pro plumber, but I am a pro crastinator