Best way of protecting banisters from harm during demolition

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Best way of protecting banisters (railings) from harm during demolition

My apprentice came up with a great solution for protecting some banisters during a recent demolition out in UBC. We had to drop the ceiling and walls around a 100 year old staircase and wanted to protect the banisters from harm.

We used up all our Ram Board the first day and David (my apprentice) asked me if we could use the Ram Jamb instead. I had never thought of that and we tried it out. Worked like a champ.

Once protected we built a scaffolding and simply sat some plywood over the Ram Jamb. Then the garbage cans. I sent the helper into the attic and he boot stomped the ceiling. We dropped the ceiling in no time!

Love this stuff!

We found that we could even cut the stuff with the chop saw and once the scaffolding was removed we improved the outside corner.

I'll get some pictures up.

JW

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Setting up for demo over a staircase and banister

Here is how we set up this rig to protect the railings (banisters) from harm.

This was a fast set up and it worked so well.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Cutting Ram Jamb for banister's outside corner

Once we removed the plywood the outside corner was not protected as well as I would have liked. I thought about cutting the Ram Jamb on the forty five and tried my chop saw. This worked so well. I had a cross cut blade on the saw and it went through the Ram jamb like butter.

The Ram Jamb can over lap each other so set up was a breeze.

I might cut the other inside miter next so these pieces can be used for inside or outside corners in the future.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks